[alt.individualism] Objectivism?

tsf@THEORY.CS.CMU.EDU (Timothy Freeman) (03/24/88)

In article <5430002@otter.hple.hp.com> cwp@otter.hple.hp.com (Chris Preist) writes:
>I've heard mention of 'Objectivism' in several postings, but no explanation.
>What is it?

"Objectivism" usually refers to the "Objectivist" phliosophy
presented (polemicized?) by Ayn Rand.

>If it is the 'Objectivist' philosophy with respect to morality,
>being, existance etc, then it is about the most non-individual thing in
>existance ( To be mildly unfair to the objective philosophers, they basically
>say there is only one truth wrt ethics/aesthetics/existance etc, and usually
>claim to have access to it).

Unfortunately, a lot of bandwidth in this newsgroup is consumed by
people asserting that if a person chooses to do the same thing that
other people do, then that person is not an individualist.  If this
were true, then being an individualist would be suicidal, since nearly
everyone chooses to eat.

I am an individualist if I carefully make my choices to get what I
want (as opposed to letting someone else make them); I am still an
individualist if those choices happen to be the same as someone
else's.  Whether I am an individualist depends on how I make my
choices, not what choices I make (although there is some constraint;
if I saw someone do something stupid immediately after lots of people
around him did the same stupid thing, I would guess that he is not an
individualist).

So, if, as far as I can tell, Objectivism is correct, then I could
believe it and still be an individualist.

I don't know much about Objectivism, but it seems that they claim that
the behaviors that they call "ethical" or "moral" maximize one's
happiness in life.  This is an interesting assertion which I would
like to see some discussion of.  I am not interested in reading gripes
about how Objectivists usually present themselves, since I could
easily choose to share their belief but avoid their presentation.

One thing to be careful of about Ayn Rand's presentation of
Objectivism is that she often defines new words that sound the same as
ones already in use, but have a different meaning; "moral" is one
such.

So, do you have any specific gripes about the content of Objectivism,
or were you just rejecting it because you didn't like the rhetoric of
the Objectivist philosophers?  (Of course you may have been doing
something else entirely, but I want you to respond, so I'll leave it
at that.)
--
Tim Freeman

Arpanet: tsf@theory.cs.cmu.edu
Uucp:    ...!seismo!theory.cs.cmu.edu!tsf

pan@well.UUCP (Philip Nicholls) (04/04/88)

Ayn Rand is to Philosophy what Emmanueal Velikoffski is to Astronomy.

--
"To ask a question, you must first know most of the answer."
                                     - Robert Sheckley

   pan@well.UUCP (you figure out how to get their).