[alt.individualism] The Cardinality of the Description of an Individual

webber@constance.rutgers.edu (Bob Webber) (04/10/88)

In article <5539@spool.cs.wisc.edu>, gautier@ai.cs.wisc.edu (Jorge Gautier) writes:
> "Let's see, I belong to the group of brown-haired-animals, the group of
> animals-with-freckles-on-their-face, the group of catholic-high-school-
> alumni, the group of 23-year-olds, ...  Yeah, I guess the (infinite) sum
> of all these groups defines my self.  How useful and enlightening."

Actually, if it were the case, it would be both useful and enlightening.
The reason is because although there are an infinity of such groups, the
infinity of the ones we can talk about is the smallest of infinities.
Thus the claim that everything that is significant about an individual
can be related by language (which lies at the basis of the notion that
we are completely defined by the groups we are a member of so that
by merely listing such groups we would be completely defined) actually
makes a substantial restriction on the nature of ourselves.  Interestingly
enough, the claim that we are a product of our environment also ends
up coming down this same path as it turns out that an environment that
contains indescribable parts is not much different from an individual that
contains aspects independant of the environment.

> Groups do not exist.  Individuals exist.

Hmmm.  And what are individuals?  Humans?  Unicellular animals?  Molecules?
Atoms? Quarks? Minds? TCP-IP packets? Bits?

Is a human just a wierd metamorphisis that an egg goes through to
create another egg?  [oops, wrong alt group.]

---- BOB (webber@athos.rutgers.edu ; rutgers!athos.rutgers.edu!webber)