[alt.individualism] tell us please

gautier@ai.cs.wisc.edu (Jorge Gautier) (04/09/88)

Hey, professor, are you still around?

Since you know so much about philosophy and ethics, why don't you tell
us about the RIGHT philosophical system?  And don't forget to include
the social, economic and political systems to go along with it.

I can't wait to read about it!
---
Jorge Gautier @ Wisconsin, gautier@cs.wisc.edu

"The fact that my internal arrangement differs from yours, doctor,
 pleases me without end."

pan@well.UUCP (Philip Nicholls) (04/10/88)

In article <5540@spool.cs.wisc.edu> gautier@ai.cs.wisc.edu (Jorge Gautier) writes:

>Hey, professor, are you still around?
>Since you know so much about philosophy and ethics, why don't you tell
>us about the RIGHT philosophical system?  And don't forget to include
>the social, economic and political systems to go along with it.

This question, meant as a taunt, only serves to illustrate the shallowpated
nature of libertarian social thought.  You must be getting desperate.  I
will not bother to answer for the professor, but suggest you read the
quote in my signature, and THINK about it.

--
"To ask a question, you must first know most of the answer."
                                     - Robert Sheckley

   pan@well.UUCP (you figure out how to get their).

turpin@ut-sally.UUCP (Russell Turpin) (04/11/88)

In article <5650@well.UUCP>, pan@well.UUCP (Philip Nicholls) writes:

> In article <5540@spool.cs.wisc.edu>, Jorge Gautier writes:
> >Hey, professor, are you still around?
> >Since you know so much about philosophy and ethics, why don't you tell
> >us about the RIGHT philosophical system?  And don't forget to include
> >the social, economic and political systems to go along with it.

> This question, meant as a taunt, only serves to illustrate the shallowpated
> nature of libertarian social thought.

Gautier's posting contains no libertarian allusions.  Your
criticism, intended as a cheap shot at a broad genre of social
thought, is no better than his. Should we consider it an
illustration of the shallowpated nature of the social philosophy
you prefer? Or can we agree that this is not the way to criticize
social philosophy?

Russell

pan@well.UUCP (Philip Nicholls) (04/11/88)

In article <11188@ut-sally.UUCP> turpin@ut-sally.UUCP (Russell Turpin) writes:
>Gautier's posting contains no libertarian allusions.

Ah, yes, this particular post did not contain any libertarian allusions.
You will pardon me for extrapolating on Mr. Gautier's previous postings.
If he is not a libertarian, than I do indeed owe him an apology.

>Your criticism, intended as a cheap shot at a broad genre of social
>thought, is no better than his. Should we consider it an
>illustration of the shallowpated nature of the social philosophy
>you prefer? Or can we agree that this is not the way to criticize
>social philosophy?

My criticism was not so much at any broad gnere of social thought (this would
imply some depth in libertarian analysis of social issues) but rather at the
anti-intellectual nature of Mr. Gautier's taunt.  You can think what you will
of my own views.  If you will read Mr. Gautier's question again, you might
understand my response.  It may be no better than his.  If so, it is no better
or worse than your own.

--
"To ask a question, you must first know most of the answer."
                                     - Robert Sheckley

   pan@well.UUCP (you figure out how to get their).

cwp@otter.hple.hp.com (Chris Preist) (04/11/88)

The fact that you, as an individualist (I assume?) ask such a question,
dissapoints me. Did he claim there was a RIGHT philosophical system?

A philosopher's job is to analyse and criticise, not just dogmatise.

Finding a flaw in a 'proof' (Mathematical or philosophical) is usually
an easier task than forming the proof itself. It is, nonetheless, equally
important.

Or maybe by RIGHT you mean the opposite to LEFT, politically? :-)

Agitate, Educate, Disorganise.....                Chris Preist

P.S. Don't forget, this group is for discussing INDIVIDUALISM and associated
paraphernalia. I would beg you, professor, not to rise to the bait and
provide an alternative philosophical framework for us to discuss. Except in
the unlikely event it is an alternative individualist philosophy...

tsf@THEORY.CS.CMU.EDU (Timothy Freeman) (04/12/88)

In article <5650@well.UUCP> pan@well.UUCP (Philip Nicholls) writes:
>In article <5540@spool.cs.wisc.edu> gautier@ai.cs.wisc.edu (Jorge Gautier) writes:
>>
>>Hey, professor, are you still around?
>>Since you know so much about philosophy and ethics, why don't you tell
>>us about the RIGHT philosophical system?  And don't forget to include
>>the social, economic and political systems to go along with it.
>
>This question, meant as a taunt, only serves to illustrate the shallowpated
>nature of libertarian social thought.  You must be getting desperate.  I
>will not bother to answer for the professor, but suggest you read the
>quote in my signature, and THINK about it.
>
>"To ask a question, you must first know most of the answer."

Above is another argument of the form "You disagree with me.
Therefore you are shallow and getting desperate.  Therefore you are
wrong."  The Professor made several statements like that to me over
the mail too.  Maybe there are rhetoric classes where they teach such
things.  Unfortunately, if I claim that such arguments are totally
useless, then I would be shallow and desperate, and therefore wrong.
So I won't respond (except for the fact that this is a response... Hm,
maybe I *can* make merit-free arguments as tangled as Philip's...
Nah, I'm too shallow, must have been something I ate.  Never mind.).

Actually, the Professor claimed in mail he sent to me that he didn't
have any usable alternative to the philosophies he was criticizing.  I
don't believe he could tolerate having no consistent philosophy of
life, so my guess right now is that he was trying to convert us all to
Catholicism.  My guess may be wrong, but it is plausible and
entertaining, so I'll stick with it until something better comes along.

The presupposition that selfishness is bad seems to underlie many of
the Professor's gripes.  I have asked him to justify this, and I have
made posts asking some altruistic person to enlighten me, and I have
received no response.  If a person won't attempt to defend his axioms,
I tend to doubt the merits of his conclusions.  (Well, actually the
Professor did respond, saying that "The Virtue of Selfishness" by Ayn
Rand had no merit.  This is not relevant, because the question was
about a piece of behavior, not about a book.)

As far as the quote goes, Jorge Gautier did indeed manage to ask a
question, so the quote implies he knows most of the answer.  The quote
doesn't imply that he knows all of it, so even if the quote is true,
there is some use for getting real answers from the Professor or
Philip Nichols.  I will not bother to answer Phillip Nichols, but
suggest he read the quote in my signature, and THINK about it.

--
"To use clever rhetoric to evade questions is not evidence of knowing
the answers."                    - Tim Freeman

Arpanet: tsf@theory.cs.cmu.edu
Uucp:    ...!seismo.css.gov!theory.cs.cmu.edu!tsf

turpin@ut-sally.UUCP (Russell Turpin) (04/12/88)

In article <5663@well.UUCP>, pan@well.UUCP (Philip Nicholls) writes:
> My criticism was not so much at any broad gnere of social thought (this would
> imply some depth in libertarian analysis of social issues) but ...

You continue to make casual slurs against libertarianism. There
are many places where libertarian thought deserves criticism, but
what it does not deserve is simple dismissal, because there is
also much worthwhile in it.  Contrary to your claim (if your
parenthetical comment counts as such), libertarian literature
exists in both breadth and depth. If you think you are capable of
writing a posting that eviscerates the entire field, please do so
-- I will enjoy reading it, and most likely critiquing it. But
your curt dismissals with nothing to back them up only leave your
audience suspicious that your opinions are uninformed.

Russell