[alt.individualism] One thumb up, one thumb down.

pkr@maddog.sgi.com (Phil Ronzone) (01/17/90)

In article <12946@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> roger@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Roger Lustig) writes:
>Yup.  Morals and ethics all over.  To sell a few more bottles of
>bellywash, the Eric Roberts character is willing to destroy a whole way
>of life.  At the end, his adversary, faced with the extinction of
>everything he's worked for, commits symbolic suicide: he blows up his
>factory.
>
>Now, it's not as though the Coca-Cola company was going to make any
>money out there in that last valley on earth; not many people, high
>transportation costs.  It's just that they (personified by their
>operative) can't imagine NOT dominating the taste of every place on
>earth.

OMIGOD! Imagine how those soft drink and fast food companies "can't
imagine NOT dominating the taste of every place on earth". I mean,
there's even a MacDonalds in Paris!!!!

Imagine the horror of all those people marched into that MacDonalds
at gunpoint and forced to buy "Le Big Mac" instead that wonderful
French food, and made to drink Coco-Cola at gunpoint too!!!

Uh, wait, er, you mean there are no guns involved?

People are doing this by their own choice!!!???

Well, then, what's the complaint? I mean, only a fascist or
other power hungry SOB who wants to run other peoples live
would complain about peoples voluntary choice in foods.

(And of course, even if Big Macs and Cokes were less healthy
than food displaced, so what? Rock climbing and using drugs
is also unhealthy).

Phil Ronzone   Manager Secure UNIX           pkr@sgi.COM   {decwrl,sun}!sgi!pkr
Silicon Graphics, Inc.               "I never vote, it only encourages 'em ..."
-----In honor of Minas, no spell checker was run on this posting---------------