[alt.individualism] PC's are democratic

bartonr@jove.cs.pdx.edu (Robert Barton) (01/17/90)

 nelson_p@apollo.HP.COM (Peter Nelson) writes:
> BTW, Free-market advocates should remember that there is at least one *key*
> difference between economic democracy and political democracy.  In a political
> democracy it is possible to create constitutional protections to keep the
> majority from imposing their will on the minority.

  I don't know about most other countries, but in the USA at least this depends
on the size of the majority.  A sufficient majority can always alter or repeal
constitutional restrictions.  Or a president might be able to get the Supreme
Court to re-interpret the restrictions on government power by threatening to
pack the court with his disciples.