[alt.individualism] Who owns what?

rhg2@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Rich Graham) (01/18/90)

In article <=1R5L=@rpi.edu> keith@pawl.rpi.edu (Keith D. Weiner) writes:
>The correct approach to this question is: "Who created the property?" It is
>THIS person who owns it. He (she) may then transfer ownership voluntarily
>to someone else.

But doesn't this concept hinge on the ownership of the materials used in
making the property?  All (physical) property can be traced back to
natural resources which were created by nobody (at least nobody involved
in the debate).  Rules of ownership are simple to design AFTER
everything has been assigned an owner.  So (again) who "owns" Antartica?
The moon?  Who will own the stars?

When Europeans began messing around in the new world, I believe they had
some kind of claim system (whoever gets there first), which was easily
circumvented by a military system (whoever's still there after the
fight).  But even with these systems in place, do the participants have
"actual" ownership, or only "ownership with respect to the established
system"?

--
Richard H. Graham
University of Pittsburgh - CIS

stata@hplabsb.HP.COM (Raymie Stata) (01/18/90)

In article <21687@unix.cis.pitt.edu> rhg2@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Rich  Graham)
writes:

>In article <=1R5L=@rpi.edu> keith@pawl.rpi.edu (Keith D. Weiner) writes:
>> The correct approach to this question is: "Who created the property?" It is
>> THIS person who owns it. He (she) may then transfer ownership voluntarily
>> to someone else.
>
> But doesn't this concept hinge on the ownership of the materials used in
> making the property?

No.  The right to property, properly understood, is the right to use and
dispose the product of one's efforts.  Productive effort---the act of
transforming raw materials into useful product---is the human mode of
survival.  If you take away one's product, you are interfering with his
life-supporting activity, i.e., you are interfering with his right to
life.  Thus, property rights are an extension of the right to life; if
you don't have the right to use and dispose of your product, then your
means of survival is in another person's hands.

> All (physical) property can be traced back to natural resources which were
> created by nobody (at least nobody involved in the debate).  Rules of
> ownership are simple to design AFTER everything has been assigned an owner.

The second sentence is false; it took men hundreds of thousands of years
to formulate those rules (as rights and laws).  (See not bellow on
military.)

The first sentence is true, but misleading and irrelevant.  Natural
resources by themselves are useless.  The primary ingredient in production
is creative, mental effort, not natural resources.  Look at the USSR:
a very poor country which is very rich in natural resources.

Property rights primarily protect creative, productive effort; protecting
material property is the means to this end.

> When Europeans began messing around in the new world, I believe they had
> some kind of claim system (whoever gets there first), which was easily
> circumvented by a military system (whoever's still there after the
> fight).

That this happened shows how hard it was in fact to formulate those rules
which you claimed where so obvious (see above).

> So (again) who "owns" Antartica? The moon? Who will own the stars?

No one, yet.  And given the state of the culture we probably don't have
to ``worry'' about individuals being given ownership.

Locke formulated the proper principle for converting material in the
state of nature into personal property.  Briefly stated, this principle
is that the person who first transforms material into useful product may
claim ownership.

During the enlightment, when reason and individualism ruled, Locke's
principle was implemented, and the result was the homestead acts and
the great homesteading that resulted.

In the twentieth century, where irrationalism and collectivism rule,
Locke's principle has been forgoten, and as a result the new property
frontiers are being swallowed by statism.  The air waves are lost, and
Antartica and Space will most likely follow.  The results: we can look
forward to higher taxes, increasing governemnt powers, and possibly
territorial wars.

It is time for us to rediscover property rights!

Regards,
  Raymie Stata
   stata%cello@hplabs.hp.com