[alt.individualism] What happened to the Objectivists?

nelson_p@apollo.HP.COM (Peter Nelson) (01/18/90)

   Alt.individualism used to have a lot of objectivists, people
   who claimed that there was a rational way to derive ethical
   values from an objective look at the world around us.   In the
   thread "objectivism as religion" I claimed that the ethical
   values were *injected* into their system, not derived logically.

   Since then a lot of people have attacked this position but when
   pressed, most of them who appeared to be defending the "absolute
   value" position have denied actually being objectivists.  People
   like Phil Ronzone and Mike Ellis say that they're not really
   objectivists but that they're trying to explain or paraphrase
   what objectivists think.

   Steve Mason, who says he is an objectivist but not an Objectivist
   was putting up a good debate but he seems to have disappeared
   before getting to the heart of the matter.   In his last posting
   he said (to Paul Torek):

>>Let me get this straight:  Nelson asserts that no one has such rights.
>>Now suppose (I'm not saying he would do this, but just suppose) he starts
>>killing people left and right.  Are you saying that you have no argument
>>that, were he to rationally listen to it, would persuade him to stop?
>
>No, I am not saying that.  The key to your question is the phrase "were
>he to rationally listen to it," after which I would add "and
>act accordingly."  If he rationally listens, then I say I do have such
>an argument.

   Perhaps so, but we haven't heard what that argument is.

   And no other objectivists or Objectivists have come to Mr. Mason's
   aid.  The objectivists on this net give up too easily.

   So, for that matter, do some Libertarians.   When I made a crack
   about there being no real-world social laboratory for libertarian
   ideals June Genis said, "Aha!  Surely you've never heard of Big
   Water, Utah."   But when I cited some facts from a recent phone
   conversation with the newspaper editor there, I thought or hoped,
   that she would come back and show me where I was wrong.  But
   instead, that was the end of that.

   Really, folks I *wish* that I knews some rational basis for absolute
   ethics.   I *wish* that a social and economic system based on true
   individual political, ethical, and economic liberty could be constructed
   that would work in the world-as-it-really-is.   I don't criticize
   the ideals of Objectivism or Libertarianism because I'm opposed in
   principle to freedom or the idea of true merit winning out against
   a deadening sheeplike bureaucracy.   I just don't see how any of this
   can map to the Real World.  But I am trying to give believers in these
   things every opportunity to prove me wrong.  I sincerely wish they
   could.

                                                     ---Peter

GA.JRG@forsythe.stanford.edu (June Genis) (01/18/90)

In article <48178c77.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM>,
nelson_p@apollo.HP.COM (Peter Nelson) writes:
>   So, for that matter, do some Libertarians.   When I made a crack
>   about there being no real-world social laboratory for libertarian
>   ideals June Genis said, "Aha!  Surely you've never heard of Big
>   Water, Utah."   But when I cited some facts from a recent phone
>   conversation with the newspaper editor there, I thought or hoped,
>   that she would come back and show me where I was wrong.  But
>   instead, that was the end of that.

Nope.  I'm just still working on it, that all.  On it's way to me at
this very moment is a Mac disk with a copy of a story on Big Water
which appeared in a recent issue of LPNews (I tried to get them to
use email but they hadn't used the Compuserve gateway before so felt
safer with the diskette approach for now).  Expect a posting within
the next week.

/June

lvc@cbnews.ATT.COM (Lawrence V. Cipriani) (01/18/90)

In article <48178c77.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM> nelson_p@apollo.HP.COM (Peter Nelson) writes:
+   Alt.individualism used to have a lot of objectivists, people
+   who claimed that there was a rational way to derive ethical
+   values from an objective look at the world around us.   In the
+   thread "objectivism as religion" I claimed that the ethical
+   values were *injected* into their system, not derived logically.

The problem with Objectivism is it hasn't come up with a convincing case
against ethical nihilism; for that matter, neither has Libertarianism.
Most of them just don't realize it.  Making light of Henry Hazlitt's
comment in his book "The Foundations of Morality" ... "The first thing
we do is kill the ethical nihilists!"

+   So, for that matter, do some Libertarians.   When I made a crack
+   about there being no real-world social laboratory for libertarian
+   ideals ...

If you want to see an example of a society where all or even many
Libertarian/Objectivist ideals are practiced, even a small society of a
few thousand, you can stop looking; it doesn't exist.  However, we can
find in the real world examples of what Libertarians and Objectivists seek,
e.g., legalized <name your favorite vice>, privatization of gov't services,
more just or no regulations of industry, less onerous gun control, etc.
I believe these examples provide ample evidence for the superiority of
Libertarian and Objectivist means and ends and the inferiority of statist
means and ends.
--
Larry Cipriani, att!cbdkc1!larry or larry@cbdkc1.att.com

pkr@maddog.sgi.com (Phil Ronzone) (01/19/90)

In article <48178c77.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM> nelson_p@apollo.HP.COM (Peter Nelson) writes:
>   Since then a lot of people have attacked this position but when
>   pressed, most of them who appeared to be defending the "absolute
>   value" position have denied actually being objectivists.  People
>   like Phil Ronzone and Mike Ellis say that they're not really
>   objectivists but that they're trying to explain or paraphrase
>   what objectivists think.

Look asshole, let's get this straight. I am not trying to explain or
paraphrase anything. I am stating what I believe and think.

I realize that you have a square hole that your trying to fit the
round peg of reality into, but, damn it, try and be accurate.

------Me and my dyslexic keyboard----------------------------------------------
Phil Ronzone   Manager Secure UNIX           pkr@sgi.COM   {decwrl,sun}!sgi!pkr
Silicon Graphics, Inc.               "I never vote, it only encourages 'em ..."
-----In honor of Minas, no spell checker was run on this posting---------------

keith@pawl.rpi.edu (Keith D. Weiner) (01/19/90)

Peter asks where have all the objectivists gone. After all the flames and
torrents of irrational slander we had taken, one wonders why we left. (and why
Im back). You would honestly be curious as to some of the mail I got last time
around. "why do you post to those idiots??" "here's the address of an O'ist
mail list", etc.
Honestly. I was arguing with Roger Lustig and Larry Cipriani over whether
REALITY EXISTS (or not)! That reality is some fluid flux and no one can be
certain of anything and that any arbitrary idea can be true (the more arbitrary
the more true) can (and was) used to justify anything.
On the off chance that you werent part of that "flame brigade" I will once
more don my asbestos suit and post the O'ist basis for politics. I will make
some assertions that I wont prove. Not everyone can prove them. But no honest
person would question them.
1) Human life is the fundamental root of ethics.
2) As a living creature, a human being's nature requires sustenance. It also
   continually demands the answer to the question "to live?" Failure to
   answer "yes" means that the human will die (eventually); its sustenance
   is not automatic or a "right".
3) Each human has only one means of sustaining his life: his mind, and the use
   thereof.
4) Thinking is an individual process; it cannot be done as a collective.
5) Therefore, it follows _directly from metaphysics_ that each human must
   be free to use his mind. This means freedom of ideas, and of actions.
6) As a corollary, since some of these actions may lead to the CREATION of
   material values (property), the right of property follows. This is merely
   a right to own any property one produces (or trades from its producer). It
   is NOT an arbitrary assertion, or a "consensus". T. Edison did not invent
   a light bulb by consensus. Nor would he have if a consensus could take it
   away from him once done. (Production does not "happen". It is made possioble
   only by freedom)
Notice that humans do not derive their rights from the govt (whos rights are
presumably supernatural in origin?). The rights derive FROM THEIR VERY NATURE.
Notice also, that the above mentioned rights (life, thought, action, property)
all follow from this; and that they are NOT compatible with any other rights
which liberals have named in recent years. Like "a decent house", "medical
care", "food", etc. Notice that not all men may have such rights. This is due
to another fact of metaphysics: What is consumed must have been produced!
Someone must work involuntarily for others gain (slavery!) in order for some
men to have those "rights".
This was not an exhaustive essay. There is much more to be said. But it
leads in the right direction. Honest inquiries will be answered. Flamers will
be met by: flames! :)

nelson_p@apollo.HP.COM (Peter Nelson) (01/19/90)

 lvc@cbnews.ATT.COM (Lawrence V. Cipriani) posts...

>The problem with Objectivism is it hasn't come up with a convincing case
>against ethical nihilism; for that matter, neither has Libertarianism.
>Most of them just don't realize it.  Making light of Henry Hazlitt's
>comment in his book "The Foundations of Morality" ... "The first thing
>we do is kill the ethical nihilists!"

 I suppose this depends on what you mean by ethical nihilism.
 Is an ethical nihilist one who categorically denies the existence
 of ethical standards or is he one (like me) who merely
 challenges those who claim there ARE ethical standards to
 show why they think so?

 Objectivism claims to have no problem with the latter because
 they claim to start off with an ethical blank slate.  They
 claim to derive ethical standards from the objective facts

>+   So, for that matter, do some Libertarians.   When I made a crack
>+   about there being no real-world social laboratory for libertarian
>+   ideals ...
>
>If you want to see an example of a society where all or even many
>Libertarian/Objectivist ideals are practiced, even a small society of a
>few thousand, you can stop looking; it doesn't exist.  However, we can
>find in the real world examples of what Libertarians and Objectivists seek,
>e.g., legalized <name your favorite vice>, privatization of gov't services,
>more just or no regulations of industry, less onerous gun control, etc.

 This makes Libertarians look like Republicans.   In any case it's not
 clear how well these things have actually worked.   Even liberal
 Democrats have favored "privatization of gov't services" on an
 innocous scale, like garbage collection.  I haven't seen results
 of attempts to privatize things like police, fire, schools, etc.
 (there are, of course, private schools, but these are elective and
 so are not comparable to public schools).   And deregulation has
 been a mixed bag.  Deregulated S&L's are a mess.  The airlines
 were deregulated and business volume went up, prices for economy
 seats went down, prices for 1st class went up, delays and crowding
 went up, safety at first improved, then declined, and profits for
 airlines went down (Source: OAG Frequent Flyer magazine).  On the
 other hand, deregulating the phone industry seems like a major win.
 I don't know any place craeting less onerous gun control laws, the
 tendency seems to be MORE gun control laws everywhere.

>I believe these examples provide ample evidence for the superiority of
>Libertarian and Objectivist means and ends and the inferiority of statist
>means and ends.

 I still think that a more clear-cut experiment is needed to
 actually test causes and effects.  Libertarians propose much
 more sweeping changes than anything that's actually been tried
 up to now and we should all know the dangers of "if a little
 is good, more must be better".

 The other problem is that one could easily use the same arguments
 that Mr. Cipriani is using here to support statist ideals.  For
 instance, Japan has some of the toughest gun-control laws in
 the world and they have an extremely low crime rate.   The
 Scandinavian countries have extensive social welfare systems
 compared to the U.S. and they also have much less poverty than
 we do.   Canada has national health insurance and they have a much
 lower infant mortality rate than we do.   Etc, etc.   Does this
 show a causal relationship of just coincidence?

                                               ---Peter

nelson_p@apollo.HP.COM (Peter Nelson) (01/20/90)

   keith@pawl.rpi.edu (Keith D. Weiner) posts...

>On the off chance that you werent part of that "flame brigade" I will once
>more don my asbestos suit and post the O'ist basis for politics. I will make
>some assertions that I wont prove. Not everyone can prove them. But no honest
>person would question them.

  Well, I'm an honest person and I certainly question a number of them...

> 1) Human life is the fundamental root of ethics.

 Not sure what this means.  Ethics is *about* humans, that is it is not
 clear that we have ethical obligations to rocks or rabbits (though some
 claim we do).   But when you say human 'life', are you making a claim
 about the ethical significance of the arbitrary, individual human
 life?

>2) As a living creature, a human being's nature requires sustenance. It also
>   continually demands the answer to the question "to live?" Failure to
>   answer "yes" means that the human will die (eventually); its sustenance
>   is not automatic or a "right".

  Agreed.

>3) Each human has only one means of sustaining his life: his mind, and the use
>   thereof.

  Again, I think this is a little vague.  I claim that physical traits,
  personality characteristics, and other human factors are also important
  for sustaining life.  A stupid person with a good immune system
  may be able to sustain himself better during a plague better than
  an intelligent person with a poorer one.   A beautiful but dumb
  blonde may have better survival chances than a rational plain woman
  in some situations.   An idiot with confidence may do better sometimes
  than a self-doubting Nobel laureate.   A socially popular person
  may often survive in situations where the bright nerd won't.
  I'm not splitting hairs here; I'm contesting the notion that
  rationality is the be-all and end-all of man's survival capacity.
  It is also worth noting that a good-looking rational person has
  better chances than an ugly rational person, etc.  Rationality is one
  of a constellation of factors.   I'd rather be rational than not, but
  that's because I'm already popular and good-looking  8-)   .

>4) Thinking is an individual process; it cannot be done as a collective.

  Again, I think this is vague.   Obviously groups of people don't
  fuse their brains or meld their minds to think.   But intellectual
  creativity is a social and cultural phenomenon.  We use the ideas
  of others, "bounce ideas off of" others, etc.

>5) Therefore, it follows _directly from metaphysics_ that each human must
>   be free to use his mind. This means freedom of ideas, and of actions.

  "Must", in what sense?   What happens if they are not free in this way?
  If I have an adversary in some matter, might it not be to my advantage
   (rationally) to prevent him from using his mind?

>6) As a corollary, since some of these actions may lead to the CREATION of
>   material values (property), the right of property follows. This is merely
>   a right to own any property one produces (or trades from its producer). It
>   is NOT an arbitrary assertion, or a "consensus". T. Edison did not invent
>   a light bulb by consensus. Nor would he have if a consensus could take it
>   away from him once done. (Production does not "happen". It is made possioble
>   only by freedom)

  I agree that freedom to echange ideas and freedom to enjoy the fruits
  or benefits of one's creativity makes for a good climate to foster
  such creativity.   But this then becomes a pragmatic issue rather than
  a philosophical or theoretical one.  #6 does not show that taxing
  wealth derived from inventions (assuming the inventor is still allowed
  to become wealthy), or allowing patents to run out after so many
  years, significantly inhibits creativity.   Japan and the West are
  experiencing a veritable explosion of inventions, discoveries, and creativity
  these days, despite taxes or the fact that the individual inventor
  may work for a large corporation and only receive modest returns on
  his particular invention.   I think that the relationship between motivation
  and creativity in the Real World is more complex than objectivists suggest.

>This was not an exhaustive essay. There is much more to be said. But it
>leads in the right direction. Honest inquiries will be answered. Flamers will
>be met by: flames! :)

   Well, I hope you don't think any of my comments were flames.   But I would
   appreciate a little more specificity from objectivists here.

                                                       ---Peter