[alt.individualism] Why bash communism?

byoder@smcnet.UUCP (Brian Yoder) (01/19/90)

In article <NELSON.90Jan13230333@image.clarkson.edu>, nelson@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Russ Nelson) writes:
> In article <2588@odin.SGI.COM> pkr@maddog.sgi.com (Phil Ronzone) writes:

>    Of course, [communism in Hollywood] decidedly affected movie
>    scripts. Name any movie that had a positive image of businessmen or
>    landlords as an example? (Grapes of Wrath, It's a Wonderful Life,
>    Wizard of OZ,...)

> These films were made shortly after the worst of many depressions
> suffered in the US.  You seem to be surprised that films that cast
> businessmen and landlords in a bad light were popular.  Your
> accusation of communism for promulgating these movies reflects badly
> on your reasoning abilities.

Why is it a sign of bad reasoning to conclude that communists in the 1940s
contributed to these trends when so many were self-admitted communists?
It isn't reasoning that Phil used to conclude that these guys were commies.
I am sure that the view of businessmen as employers and producers of
wealth (just what people wanted more of during the depression) must
have been alien to communists, but what about everyone else?  Such
views must have been held by some portion of the population (at least
the businessmen and landlords themselves...probably many others too)
but you would never know it from the movies.  I have a hard time thinking
of a pro-businessman movie in more modern times either.  Can anyone
else think of one off hand?

Brian
--
-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-
| Brian Yoder                 | answers *byoder();                            |

In article <525@smcnet.UUCP> byoder@smcnet.UUCP (Brian Yoder) writes:

   I have a hard time thinking of a pro-businessman movie in more
   modern times either.

You are perfectly free to make your own pro-businessman movies.  If no
one chooses to watch them, well, that's just the free market at work.
--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])  Russ.Nelson@$315.268.6667
Violence never solves problems, it just changes them into more subtle problems

pkr@maddog.sgi.com (Phil Ronzone) (01/20/90)

In article <525@smcnet.UUCP> byoder@smcnet.UUCP (Brian Yoder) writes:
>I have a hard time thinking
>of a pro-businessman movie in more modern times either.  Can anyone
>else think of one off hand?

As an illustration, in Hollywood, "net" applies only to fishing boats.

The recent movie Eddie Murphy movie that grossed $335M but made no
profit is an example of the general extreme sleaziness of the
movie industry. As script writers are immersed in this in their
day to day lives, I am not surprised that they had a very negative
view of business.

------Me and my dyslexic keyboard----------------------------------------------
Phil Ronzone   Manager Secure UNIX           pkr@sgi.COM   {decwrl,sun}!sgi!pkr
Silicon Graphics, Inc.               "I never vote, it only encourages 'em ..."
-----In honor of Minas, no spell checker was run on this posting---------------

byoder@smcnet.UUCP (Brian Yoder) (01/20/90)

In article <NELSON.90Jan19100026@image.clarkson.edu>, nelson@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Russ Nelson) writes:
> In article <525@smcnet.UUCP> byoder@smcnet.UUCP (Brian Yoder) writes:
>
>    I have a hard time thinking of a pro-businessman movie in more
>    modern times either.
>
> You are perfectly free to make your own pro-businessman movies.  If no
> one chooses to watch them, well, that's just the free market at work.

That is quite true, but also quite beside the point.  The source of
this whole discussion was that in the 1950's someone stood up and said
loudly (and perhaps obnoxiously) "Hollywood is full of communists and
they are creating movies biased against American values.  This is
a bad trend that you should be aware of."  (This was sometimes followed
(wrongly) by requests for the government to take action to revise the
situation).  That statement appears to be true (but heck, I wasn't
even born at the time, so it's hard to know for sure), and there's
nothing wrong with saying it.  The only wrong action would be in asking
GOVERNMENT to act to oppress the commies because of it.  Urging
citizens to boycott anti-business movies or other such things is
perfectly fine with me.  Would anyone disagree with this?

Brian Yoder

--