fortunate coincidence) happened to be here this last weekend, and he was
also able to help me.  In short, thanks to all of your help, and the smiles
of good fortune, I was able to get all the information I need in all its
gory detail.

Because others might be interested (however doubtful that might be), I am
posting a summary of the replies I received.  (Sorry it's so long, I cut it
down a great deal.)

From: Eugene N. Miya <tektronix!ames!pioneer.arc.nasa.gov!eugene>
Have you spoken to Arvind?  Some of his papers cover some of the details, but
I think more are lacking.  Dennis's dataflow bibliograph in mine
(the Rdf file) might have some.

From: munnari!smokey.ua.oz.au!andrew@uunet.uu.net (Andrew L. Wendelborn)
A reasonably detailed reference which explains the basic ideas quite clearly
is

  Arvind, K.P. Gostelow and W. Plouffe "An asynchronous programming lang-
  uage and computing machine", TR#114A, Dept. Inf. and CS, Uni. Calif. at
  Irvine, Dec. 1978

this report is probably best obtained these days by writing to Prof. Arvind
at MIT (Lab. for CS).

A less detailed, but recent, report on that work is in

  Arvind and R.S. Nikhil "Executing a program on the MIT tagged-token
  dataflow architecture", Lecture Notes in Computer Science vol. 259, 1987.

You might also try

  Veen, A.H. "Dataflow machine architectures", Computing surveys, Dec. 86.

and a special isssue on data flow in IEEE Computing, Feb. 1982.

Also

  Vegdahl, S.R. "A survey of proposed architectures for the execution of
  functional languages", IEEE Trans. Comp., Dec. 84.

From: Marta Kallstrom <marta%research2.computer-science.manchester.ac.uk@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk>

Hi Doug,

[...] But the faculty person I work with, Wim Bohm, is going to
give a talk at OGC next Friday morning.  He is a dataflow expert!
Why don't you talk to him?

Incidently, I noticed that you posted some articles about virtual
time in event-driven distributed systems.  That's another issue we're
working on.  All of the theories break down when applied to our
dataflow simulator.  Wim thinks he has a solution.  We're going to
try it.

-Marta

From: Amos Omondi <omondi@cs.unc.edu>

Try: "Generation of Dataflow Graphical Object Code .... "
by Gurd, et al, in : Springer-Verlag LNCS 111.  Otherwise get

the TR "A Multilayered Data Flow Computer Architecture" from Gurd.

From: Arthur Veen <mcvax!uva!arthur@uunet.uu.net>

Details on tagging are indeed hard to find in the widely available
literature. In my Computing Survey article of Dec 1986 I give a
rather abstract (but correct) description of the method.
If you want more details you can try to find:

J.Gurd, J.Glauert & C.C.Kirkham
Generation of Datflow Graphical Object Code for the Lapse
Programming Language
CONPAR81, Conference on Analysing Problem Classes and Programming
for Parallel Computing
1981
pp.155-168

On pages 127-140 in the same proceedings there is an article of mine
that describes code generation for an hypothetical tagged dataflow machines.

These 2 articles are however a bit out of date.

The compiler I wrote for the Manchester Dataflow Machine
is described in my dissertation which can be ordered from

Centre for Mathematics and Computer Science
P.O.Box 4079
1009 AB Amsterdam
The Netherlands

The reference is:

The Misconstrued Semicolon: Reconciling imperative languages and
dataflow machines
CWI Tract 26

Chapter 8 of my dissertation describes dataflow code generation and
in conjunction with sections 6.4 and 6.5 should give you
probably as much detail as you want.

Arthur Veen
Parallel Computing
Postbus 16775
1001 RG Amsterdam
The Netherlands

From: Choong Huei Seow <sequent!uwvax!XX.LCS.MIT.EDU!EDDIE.MIT.EDU:CHOONG!ll-xn!>
I'm with the Dataflow group at MIT. Catch me around sometime if you need help.

Choong

Again, thanks to all who contributed to my understanding.
--
Doug Pase  --  ...ucbvax!tektronix!ogcvax!pase  or  pase@cse.ogc.edu (CSNet)