[comp.parallel] Instruction scheduling on a VLIW machine

pase@uunet.uu.net (Douglas M. Pase) (05/03/88)

Is micro-instruction scheduling considered a ``difficult'' problem on VLIW
machines?  If so, why?  Could you please supply some references which would
explain the problems in detail?  (Try to use refs which are commonly available,
e.g. IEEE, ACM, Theo. Comp. Sci., LNCS, etc.)
--
Doug Pase  --  ...ucbvax!tektronix!ogcvax!pase  or  pase@cse.ogc.edu (CSNet)

root@uunet.uu.net (SuperUser) (05/09/88)

In article <1549@hubcap.UUCP> ogcvax!pase@uunet.uu.net (Douglas M. Pase) writes:
>Is micro-instruction scheduling considered a ``difficult'' problem on VLIW
>machines?  If so, why?  Could you please supply some references which would
>explain the problems in detail?  (Try to use refs which are commonly available,
>e.g. IEEE, ACM, Theo. Comp. Sci., LNCS, etc.)
>--
>Doug Pase  --  ...ucbvax!tektronix!ogcvax!pase  or  pase@cse.ogc.edu (CSNet)

It's not completely clear to me what you would like to know:  compacting
micro-instructions into a program,  trace scheduling a program,  writing
assembler code for a VLIW,  or what is the hardest part in writing a VLIW
compiler ?

We have not really written up anything about our VLIW compiler per se,
but the following reference might get you started:  (there is a revised
version of this paper forthcoming in IEEE Transactions on Computers in
August.)

R. Colwell, et. al., A VLIW architecture for a Trace Scheduling Compiler,
2nd Intl. Conf. on Architectural Support for Programming Languages
and Operating Systems, ACM Sigplan Notices 22:10, October 1987, pp. 193-198.

Stefan M. Freudenberger, Multiflow Computer, Inc., freudenberger@multiflow.com