[comp.parallel] Are all parallel processors the same?

eugene@eos.arc.nasa.gov (Eugene Miya) (09/16/88)

In article <1499@eos.UUCP> eugene@eos.UUCP I wrote for comp.arch:

>In ACM SIGPLAN Notices, vol. 17, no. 9, Sept. 1982, Alan Perlis
>wrote in the article Epigrams on Programming:
>
>> You can measure a programmer's perspective by noting his attitude on the
>> continuing vitality of FORTRAN.
>
>I say:
>You can measure a person's perspective by noting whether he thinks
>a VAX is a "mainframe."

You can measure a project's (person, company) perspective on parallel
computing by noting the percentage of time, resources, pages of paper
in an article, etc. spent in hardware versus software.

Another gross generalization from

--eugene miya, NASA Ames Research Center, eugene@aurora.arc.nasa.gov
  resident cynic at the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:
  "Mailers?! HA!", "If my mail does not reach you, please accept my apology."
  {uunet,hplabs,ncar,decwrl,allegra,tektronix}!ames!aurora!eugene
  "Send mail, avoid follow-ups.  If enough, I'll summarize."