From: bs@linus.UUCP (Robert D. Silverman)
Newsgroups: comp.arch
Subject: Re: Transputer based systems.

In article <253@uceng.UC.EDU> rsexton@uceng.UC.EDU (robert sexton) writes:
>being a fan of parallel system and their advantages, I was wondering why
>the transputer has not gotten off the ground as a viable system.  It seems
>pretty feasable, as well as very cost-effective.  I imagine a machine with
>several transputers, each running unix.  When the machine is lightly loaded,

stuff deleted.

We have just been though a major decision process where we chose a parallel
computer. We discarded the transputer for several reasons:

(1) SLOW communication, relative to the IPSC/2 and AMETEK

(2) Lack of software; e.g. good debugging tools, compilers, etc.

(3) Too heavy a dependence on OCCAM

(4) Speed. The IPSC/2 and AMETEK have faster processors and allow for
MERCURY type floating point vector boards as nodes

(5) Uncertainty as to whether the transputer will last as a viable product.

(6) Lack of third party software.

These are just a few of the reasons.

Bob Silverman

grob@cmcl2.NYU.EDU (Lori S. Grob) (09/23/88)

There is a paper in the Unix on Supercomputers workshop
on just this topic for anyone interested. It is from
a group at Grenoble. The proceedings will be available
as of next week sometime.

Lori S. Grob (NYU Ultracomputer Project)
grob@nyu.arpa
{mcvax!seismo,floyd,harpo,ihnp4,...}!cmcl2!grob   [That's c-m-c-ELL-2]
Courant Institute (NYU), 251 Mercer St., NYC 10012,  212-998-3350