[comp.parallel] RISC and coherence

dre@Sun.COM (David Emberson) (10/20/88)

[ This is editted due to length.  Hope it is not jibberish.
  --- Steve
]

In article <899@cps3xx.UUCP>, enbody@cpswh.cps.msu.edu (Dr Richard Enbody) writes:

> Question:  ... Two characteristic of RISC processors seem to pose special
> 		  problems for this type of parallel processor ....
> 		  problems (coherence). ... If that data is being
>		  shared with another processor, how is consistency maintained?
>
> 		  What architectural support exists in current RISC processors?
> 		  What should exist?
> Guesses .....

I don't see why a RISC processor's problems with consistency of register
contents is any different from a CISC processor's.  If you are worried about
the integrity of a data structure, typically you put a semaphore around the
critical section.  I think you are confusing two essentially orthogonal
issues: synchronization and cache consistency.

Support for cache consistency and synchronization presents essentially the
same set of problems regardless of one's RISC or CISC theology.

			Dave Emberson (dre@sun.com)