[comp.parallel] A System for Object-Oriented Parallel Programming

sandstro@JUNE.CS.WASHINGTON.EDU (Bob Sandstrom) (09/26/88)

PRESTO, an environment for writing object-oriented parallel programs
in the C++ programming language, is now available on the Internet.
PRESTO provides the programmer with a set of pre-defined object
types that simplify the construction of parallel programs.
PRESTO runs on Sequent Symmetry DYNIX 3.0 and VAX ULTRIX 2.0.

PRESTO is written in C++.  We provide PRESTO source code, documentation,
and some simple programs written on top of PRESTO.  You must provide
a C++ translator on your own.

The following should get you started.  As usual, please try
to avoid the peak load hours of the computers and nets involved.

ftp june.cs.washington.edu (128.95.1.4)
anonymous
(your username)
cd pub
type binary
get presto.tar.Z
bye
ls -l presto.tar.Z (should be 213581 bytes)
sum presto.tar.Z (should be 15573 209)
uncompress presto.tar.Z
tar xvf presto.tar

You can read more about PRESTO in ACM SIGPLAN PPEALS (July 1988)
and Software -- Practice & Experience (August 1988).

Bob Sandstrom
Computer Science Laboratory
Department of Computer Science
University of Washington
sandstro@cs.washington.edu

postmaster@mailcom.FIDONET.ORG (Bernard Aboba) (11/01/88)

This is perhaps a silly question, but would PRESTO be instructive for
owners of the ZORTECH C++ compiler for the PC?  Of course, one couldn't
actually DO parallel processing on a PC without a transputer board, but
I'd like to fool around with it anyway.

FidoNet:   1:204/444    UUCP: ...!sun!sunncal!mailcom!bernard
INTERNET:  f444.n204.z1.Fidonet.org
US MAIL:   Bernard Aboba, 101 First St. #224, Los Altos, CA 94022

pardo@june.cs.washington.edu (David Keppel) (11/02/88)

postmaster@mailcom.FIDONET.ORG (Bernard Aboba) writes:
>[ how about PESTO for ZORTECH C++ & a PC? ]

You can join the PRESTO mailing list by sending e-mail to

    presto-request@june.cs.washington.edu
    {rutgers,cornell,ucsd,ubc-cs,tektronix}!uw-beaver!june!presto-request

Then you can ask about availability.

	;-D on  ( My other computer is in my Digital Watch )  Pardo
--
		    pardo@cs.washington.edu
    {rutgers,cornell,ucsd,ubc-cs,tektronix}!uw-beaver!june!pardo

pardo@june.cs.washington.edu (David Keppel) (11/03/88)

pardo@june.cs.washington.edu (David Keppel -- that's me) writes:
>[...]

Apparantly I was wrong.  I've been informed that (for the moment) the
presto mailing list is for bug reports, etc.  Please stay tuned to
this channel for further information as events unfold.

    ;-D on  ( My other *parallel* computer is in my Digital Watch )  Pardo