[comp.parallel] Information needed on parallel heaps

cerez@UCBVAX.BERKELEY.EDU (Chet Erez) (11/14/88)

I am looking for information regarding a parallel priority data
structure.  It needs to fully utilize a number of processors that is
unknown until run time.  I have been unable to find one after checking
with both my professors and my library.  My current idea is a heap-like
structure with a head for each processor.  Please e-mail me either
information on the proper implementation or what papers and books I
should be trying to find.  In case it is useful, I am programming in
C on a Sequent Balance machine.
                                         Thanks in advance,
--
                                          Chet Erez
                                          DOSiple of St. $ilicon

dfk@romeo.cs.duke.edu (David F. Kotz) (11/21/88)

In article <3538@hubcap.UUCP>, ucdavis!csusac!polyslo!cerez@UCBVAX.BERKELEY.EDU (Chet Erez) writes:
> I am looking for information regarding a parallel priority data
> structure.

The best version I know of is a paper by Rao and Kumar. They refer to
a paper by Biswas and Brown that has an earlier algorithm that does
not perform as well and is much harder to code.

@inproceedings {rao:priority,
	   author = "V. Nageshwara Rao and Vipin Kumar",
	   title = "Concurrent Access of Priority Queues",
	   booktitle = icpp88,
	   volume = 3,
	   year = 1988,
	   pages = "207--211"
}

icpp88 = ICPP '88 is the International Conference on Parallel Processing.

David Kotz
Department of Computer Science, Duke University, Durham, NC 27706
ARPA:	dfk@cs.duke.edu
CSNET:	dfk@duke
UUCP:	decvax!duke!dfk

macg%alberta.uucp@RELAY.CS.NET (Mike MacGregor) (11/21/88)

In article <3538@hubcap.UUCP> ucdavis!csusac!polyslo!cerez@UCBVAX.BERKELEY.EDU (Chet Erez) writes:
>I am looking for information regarding a parallel priority data
>structure.  It needs to fully utilize a number of processors that is
>unknown until run time.  I have been unable to find one after checking
>with both my professors and my library.

Try looking at Douglas Jones' remarks on top-down skew heaps and splay trees
in "An Empirical Comparison of Priority-Queue and Event-Set Implementations",
Comm. ACM, Vol. 29, #4, Pp. 300-311, April, 1986.

Regards,
Mike

uucp: macg@alberta   analog: (403)432-3978   Mike MacGregor, Dept of Comp. Sci.
ean:  macg@pembina.alberta.cdn               U of Alberta, Edmonton AB, T6G 2H1
               Our universe: The original "one size fits all".

mkkam@menkae.cs.uh.edu (Francis Kam) (11/21/88)

In article <3538@hubcap.UUCP> ucdavis!csusac!polyslo!cerez@UCBVAX.BERKELEY.EDU (Chet Erez) writes:
>I am looking for information regarding a parallel priority data
>structure.  It needs to fully utilize a number of processors that is
>unknown until run time.  I have been unable to find one after checking

Dr. K.H. Cheng here in UH has done some work on parallel priority queue
for VLSI implementation.  You might like to email him for the papers and
TR's.  His email address is:
		khcheng@cs.uh.edu     (713)749-4791

-------------
Francis Kam                           CSC-3475
Internet: mkkam@cs.uh.edu             Computer Science Department
          mkkam@sun1.cs.uh.edu        University of Houston
CSNET:    mkkam@houston.csnet         4800 Calhoun
Phone: (713)749-1748                  Houston, TX 77004.
       (713)749-4791

kumar@cs.utexas.edu (Vipin Kumar) (11/21/88)

In article <3538@hubcap.UUCP>, ucdavis!csusac!polyslo!cerez@UCBVAX.BERKELEY.EDU (Chet Erez) writes:
> I am looking for information regarding a parallel priority data
> structure.  It needs to fully utilize a number of processors that is
> unknown until run time.  I have been unable to find one after checking
> with both my professors and my library.  My current idea is a heap-like

The following papers present a concurrent formulation of heap:

Concurrent Access of Priority Queues.
(by V.N. Rao and Vipin Kumar)
IEEE Transactions on Computers,
Vol 37, Number 12, December 1988.

Concurrent Insertions and Deletions in a Priority Queue.
(by V.N. Rao and Vipin Kumar)
Proc of 1988 International Parallel Processing Conference,
August 1988.

Vipin
-----