[comp.parallel] NPAC at Syracuse University

billo@pacrat.npac.syr.edu (Bill.O'Farrell@pacrat.npac.syr.edu, (01/31/89)

Sorry this is comes so long after the quesiton. Somehow my original
posting got lost.

[ Mea culpa.... steve]

In article <4135@hubcap.UUCP> art@CS.UCLA.EDU writes:
>[ I believe that Syracuse, Cornell, and U. of Maryland may fit this
>  description.  Any others, please post.
>  -- Steve
>]
>
>I recall hearing that some university research center had set itself up
>as a center for experimental parallel computing.  They had purchased
>a variety of parallel machines and were making them available to the
>university research public over Arpanet or NFSnet.  ...
>
>Arthur Goldberg

As Steve indicates, the Northeast Parallel Architectures Center at
Syracuse University is such a center. We have two 32K connection
machines (a CM1 and a CM2); an Encore Multimax running Unix and
another Multimax running MACH; and an Alliant FX/80. For a resource
allocation packet, send a request with your USPS mail address to
npac@cmx.npac.syr.edu. The allocation packet will ask you to write a
short proposal of the research you wish to do. It is not required that
you wish to do research *in* parallel computing per se, all that is
necessary is that your research involve parallel computation.  That
includes, for instance, using our Alliant to run Fortran programs that
have been automatically parallelized by the compiler. Of course,
research on the subject of parallel computation itself is welcome.

Besides supporting various parallel architectures, NPAC has a full
range of support services, including high-level consulting, workshops,
etc.

Generally you are eligible to apply if you are a researcher at a
university (including graduate students). Industry and government
researchers are welcome to inquire at npac@cmx.npac.syr.edu as well.

We are accessible via the internet.

For a subscription to our newsletter, send your USPS address to
editor@cmx.npac.syr.edu

Bill O'Farrell, Northeast Parallel Architectures Center at Syracuse University
(billo@cmx.npac.syr.edu)

sboyle@mbunix.mitre.org
Steve Boyle
The MITRE Corporation