[comp.parallel] Hypercube

narayana@jvncf.csc.org (Chandrasethar Narayanaswami class account) (02/17/89)

Hi,
	I would like to know the centers or universities
which have the NCUBE hypercubes.

	Does anyone know whether the NCUBE at the Sandia
labs is on the network? I would be glad to get some responses
from folks who have used the NCUBE at Sandia regarding the
documentation available and any other interesting details.

Thanks

cyrus@pprg.unm.edu (Tait Cyrus) (02/18/89)

In article <4462@hubcap.UUCP> narayana@jvncf.csc.org (Chandrasethar Narayanaswami class account) writes:
>	Does anyone know whether the NCUBE at the Sandia
>labs is on the network?

No it is not.

>I would be glad to get some responses
>from folks who have used the NCUBE at Sandia regarding the
>documentation available and any other interesting details.

Don't expect much.  In my talking with the Sandia folks, I asked
them if they were on the net and/or reading news.  They
said they were not on the net nor were they reading news
so the only way to contact them is by USmail, that is unless
they have gotton on the net in the last few months (doubtful).

---
    @__________@    W. Tait Cyrus   (505) 277-0806
   /|         /|    University of New Mexico
  / |        / |    Dept of ECE - Parallel Processing Research Group
 @__|_______@  |    Albuquerque, New Mexico 87131
 |  |       |  |
 |  |  hc   |  |    e-mail:
 |  @.......|..@       cyrus@pprg.unm.edu
 | /        | /
 @/_________@/

diegert@unmvax.cs.unm.edu (Carl F. Diegert) (02/20/89)

Tait is correct; Sandia's 1024-processor NCUBE is not presently
"on" the internet.  However, many research contracts underway
in Sandia's Computer Sciences group are greatly enhanced by computer
networking, including networking with hosts outside Sandia.
Sandia has long been on Arpanet (now Milnet).  Recent functionality,
however, has been less than satisfactory.  Sandia is a member (I
believe a charter member) of New Mexico Technet (NMT).  NMT is the
exclusive representative in our state for NSFnet services.

Netnews, shall we say, isn't an established priority.
However, at least one of us, at least on this occasion,
did see your note on comp.parallel.

Once we receive a few Cisco routers (multiple months
of backlog on these popular babies) and procure and configure come
additional security hardware we will likely allow certain reserachers
outside Sandia to connect to a few of our local machines through
NMT/WestNet/NSFnet.  The NCUBE isn't presently configured to be used on a
wide-area net. However, we are considering a new, Sun-based,
front-end processor for the NCUBE.

Network connections with the world outside our own labs are
important to many of our staff and management. Sandia does not,
however, provide computer cycles to outside researchers on
the same scale as, for example, Los Alamos National Labs.

B.T.W.  Tait's school continues to offer greatly appreciated
connection to the UUCP world.  You can probably mail all the
way to my Sun with something like <intvax!diegert@unmvax.cs.unm.edu>.
Alternatively, try <diegert@sandia.gov>.

Disclaimer: These are my informal perceptions, NOT official policy.