[comp.parallel] Multi-processor UNIX et. al.

tikku@uunet.UU.NET (Sanjay Tikku) (04/21/89)

This may turn out to be a duplicate because the last time I posted this
article it disappeared in the the netland. I am in urgent need of this
info, so here it is again:

What articles/research/papers/studies ...:-) etc. exists which compares
different UNIX versions (System V and BSD) as to their suitability as a
operating system for parallel processing? Also, what other information exists
comparing MACH to versions of multi-processor UNIX???

We are trying to determine if its a good idea to take one of the available
UNIX versions and change it to a multi-processor version to run on our
symmetric multi-processor machines or to start off with MACH as a base. In
addition we also have to support parallel processing.

Any ideas would be welcome

Thanx in advance

sanjay

================================+=============================================
 Sanjay Tikku			| Voice:	         508-685-7200 ext. 123
 Sr. Software Engineer       	| FAX:                            508-685-4940
 SAMSUNG Software America, Inc. | Internet:               tikku@samsung.com
 Computing Systems Division     | UUCP:                  tikku@ginosko.UUCP
 One Corporate Drive            | CSNET:  samsung.com!tikku@Tektronix.CSNET
 Andover, MA 01810              | BITNET:  samsung.com!tikku@Psuvax1.BITNET
================================+=============================================

eugene@eos.arc.nasa.gov (Eugene Miya) (04/21/89)

In article <5190@hubcap.clemson.edu> ginosko!tikku@uunet.UU.NET (Sanjay Tikku) writes:
>What articles/research/papers/studies ...:-) etc. exists which compares
>different UNIX versions (System V and BSD) as to their suitability as a
>operating system for parallel processing? Also, what other information exists
>comparing MACH to versions of multi-processor UNIX???

Not a scientific study: but it's an important comment, see Steve Job's
interview about using Mach as on OS in the latest issue of CACM.
In summary he says you have two choices: 1) use unix or 2) "roll your own."
If you choose the latter, good luck.  There is a ton of information on
both.

>We are trying to determine if its a good idea to take one of the available
>UNIX versions and change it to a multi-processor version to run on our
>symmetric multi-processor machines or to start off with MACH as a base. In
>addition we also have to support parallel processing.

Longish signature follows "Type 'n' now"

Another gross generalization from

--eugene miya, NASA Ames Research Center, eugene@aurora.arc.nasa.gov
  resident cynic at the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:
  "If my mail does not reach you, please accept my apology."
  {ncar,decwrl,hplabs,uunet}!ames!eugene
  				Live free or die.