[comp.parallel] University Access to Parallel Computers

mccalpin@loligo.cc.fsu.edu (John McCalpin) (01/19/89)

In article <4135@hubcap.UUCP> art@CS.UCLA.EDU writes:

>I recall hearing that some university research center had set itself up
>as a center for experimental parallel computing.  They had purchased
>a variety of parallel machines and were making them available to the
>university research public over Arpanet or NFSnet.
>Arthur Goldberg >art@cs.ucla.edu

Argonne National Laboratories has set up the Advanced Computational
Research Facility (ACRF) for experimentation and development of software
on parallel computers. They have basically one of each commercial
product: Sequent, Encore, Alliant, Intel, Connection Machine, and a few
more. I can't remember the contact's name....  If no one else posts it,
I will dig it up this afternoon....
--
----------------------   John D. McCalpin   ------------------------
Dept of Oceanography & Supercomputer Computations Research Institute

levine@antares.mcs.anl.gov (01/24/89)

In article <4135@hubcap.UUCP> art@CS.UCLA.EDU writes:

>I recall hearing that some university research center had set itself up
>as a center for experimental parallel computing.  They had purchased
>a variety of parallel machines and were making them available to the
>university research public over Arpanet or NFSnet.
>Arthur Goldberg >art@cs.ucla.edu

Argonne National Laboratory has set up the Advanced Computing Research
Facility (ACRF) for the study of parallel computing. The center has four
principal objectives:

- To encourage experimentation on computers with innovative designs.

- To assess the suitability of diverse machines for specific applications.

- To support the Mathmematics and Computer Science divisions research in
  parallel computation.

- To operate as a national user facility.

Parallel computers currently in the ACRF are:

    4-processor Ardent Titan
    8-processor Alliant FX/8
   16-processor Intel iPSC-VX hypercube
   20-processor Encore Multimax
   24-processor Sequent Balance 21000
   32-processor Intel iPSC hypercube
 1024-processor Active Memory Technology DAP
16384-processor Thinking Machines CM-2

The ACRF may be reached from most networks (arpanet, mfenet, nsfnet, ...).
Accounts on the machines are available (free of charge) to those doing research
in parallel computing who submit and have approved a research proposal.
Introductory classes in parallel computing on the ACRF machines are taught
periodically.  The upcoming schedule of (Fortran-based) classes for 1989 is:
March 15-17, May 3-5, June 21-23, August  16-18, October 11-13, December 6-8.
C-based classes are taught on a demand basis.  For further information:

Rusty Lusk (lusk@mcs.anl.gov)     - information on obtaining ACRF accounts
Teri Huml (huml@mcs.anl.gov)      - class registration
David Levine (levine@mcs.anl.gov) - class content

 David Levine       		          levine@mcs.anl.gov
 Mathematics and Computer Science         {alliant,sequent,rogue}!anlams!levine
 9700 Cass Avenue South                   (312) 972-6735
 Argonne National Laboratory
 Argonne, Illinois 60439

ajit@watmath.waterloo.edu (Ajit Singh) (04/28/89)

 A friend of mine needs access to parallel computers from
University of Alberta, Canada. I was wondering if there are
any readers in this news group who can provide me with answers
to following two questions in this regard:

(1) Are there any institutions in Canada that provide university
access to parallel computers?

(2) Can people from  canadian universities access parallel computing
facilities at Argonne National Lab. or at any other institution in U.S.?

Answers can be either mailed to me directly or can be posted in this
news group.

Thanks a lot.

Ajit Singh
Dept. of Computing Science