[comp.parallel] compiling for parallel machines

James.Price.Salsman@cat.cmu.edu (08/07/89)

In article <1989Aug4.180349.3480@esegue.uucp> deb@quimby.dartmouth.edu (Deb Banerjee) writes:
> Your suspicion about software rather than hardware being the challenge in
> parallel programming systems may be correct.
>
> I am working on high level programming languages & systems for SIMD machines
> (I have the Connection Machine in mind).

Also, don't forget Guy Blelloch's master's thesis, "AFL-1: A
Programming Language for Massivly Parallel Computers,"
MIT-AR-914(?).  He defines a simple "Activation Flow
Language" and builds a production system on top of it.

Fast, fine-grained, totally-parallel production systems work
well on SIMD systems, but the major implementation roadblock
is the construction of a compiler that performs the spatial
reasoning task of fitting all the flow channels together and
mapping out the productions onto physical PE's.

Also, bit-wide flow channels (as in AFL-1) are a bad idea
for serious production systems.  The "activation stream"
should be wide enough so that the production's binding
information can be sent through.  Modern production systems
like OPS5 have complex binding semantics, and most software
written on top of them are dependent on those semantics.

:James

Disclaimer:  The University doesn't think that I know what I'm doing.
--

:James P. Salsman (jps@CAT.CMU.EDU)