[comp.parallel] N-body problem on parallel machines

hhd0@gte.com (Horace Dediu) (09/27/89)

Could someone mail or post references to work on solving the n-body problem
on parallel machines.  I'm especially interested in implementation of
algorithms for hypercubes or the Connection Machine.

Many thanks.

--
Horace Dediu \"That's the nature of research--you don't know |GTE Laboratories
(617) 466-4111\  what in hell you're doing." `Doc' Edgerton  |40 Sylvan Road

gropp-bill@YALE.EDU (Bill Gropp) (09/27/89)

In article <6588@hubcap.clemson.edu> hhd0@gte.com (Horace Dediu) writes:
>Could someone mail or post references to work on solving the n-body problem
>on parallel machines.  I'm especially interested in implementation of
>algorithms for hypercubes or the Connection Machine.

Here are two that were implemented on an Encore multimax (in a TeX format)
    \refbody{L.~Greengard and W.~Gropp, {\it A Parallel Version of the Fast
    Multipole Method,} Technical Report YALE/DCS/RR-640, Yale University,
    Department of Computer Science, August\ 1988. }

    \refbody{L.~Greengard and W.~Gropp, {\it A Parallel Implementation of the
    Fast Multipole Method,} in "Parallel Processing for Scientific Computing,"
    Ed.~G.~Rodrigue.  SIAM, Philadelphia, 1989.}

A hypercube implementation of these is fairly straightforward.  I also
have a vector version of the 2-d FMM.  A version of a 3-d fast n-body
algorithm has been done on the Connection Machine by F.  Zhao.  Both the
2-d and 3-d n-body algorithms are O((n/p)log n) on a machine with p
processors, and are preferable to the obvious O(n*n/p) algorithm.

Bill Gropp