[comp.parallel] Simulators for Cellular Automata

ranga@uceng.UC.EDU (Dr. Ranga R. Vemuri) (09/28/89)

Are there any simulators, perferably on a vector or parallel processor,
of cellular automata ?  I am looking for refereces for actual
performance of the simulators (how fast they are, what machines they
run on etc...).  Can someone help ?

Thanks

Ranga.
ranga@uceng.uc.edu

hiebeler@turing.cs.rpi.edu (Dave Hiebeler) (09/29/89)

In article <6610@hubcap.clemson.edu> ranga@uceng.UC.EDU (Dr. Ranga R. Vemuri) writes:

> Are there any simulators, perferably on a vector or parallel processor,
> of cellular automata ?  I am looking for refereces for actual
> performance of the simulators (how fast they are, what machines they
> run on etc...).  Can someone help ?

  I am working on the latest version of Cellsim (a SunView-based
cellular automata simulator), which is a public-domain package.
Hopefully, by the end of December or so, I will have a version which
lets you attach to a Connection Machine to do the actual
array-updates.  I'm not going to spend a great deal of optimizing it,
but since each it simply uses the table-lookup method, updating a cell only
takes a few instructions, and the thing is fairly efficient.
  In working with cellular automata the past few years, I don't recall
seeing articles about performance issues on parallel machines, but
then I wasn't really looking.  Perhaps you should also try asking in
the comp.theory.cell-automata newsgroup.

--
Dave Hiebeler                       hiebeler@turing.cs.rpi.edu
Computer Science Dept.              hiebeler@cardinal.lanl.gov