[comp.parallel] Distributed X?

hpk@vax135.att.com (Howard P Katseff) (09/25/89)

Has anybody thought about how to speed up the X window system by
distributing the X server over a multiprocessor network?

I recall reading about this topic in an X document.  Is anybody working
in this area?  I would appreciate receiving any pointers to past or
current work.
--
Howard Katseff
Room 4G-622, AT&T Bell Laboratories, Holmdel, NJ  07733

hpk@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (howard.p.katseff) (10/11/89)

I recently sent out a request for information about how to speed up the
X window system by distributing the X server over a multiprocessor
network.

I got one useful reply: a pointer to a Masters thesis by Jeff Kelley
(uunet!watmath!watcgl!jvkelley).

Here is the information that I received:

Abstract

This thesis discusses the design and implementation of a window system
for a tightly coupled multiprocessor workstation.  The implementation
is based on the X Window System and runs under Harmony, a
multiprocessor, multitasking, real-time operating system.  Bottlenecks
inherent in the design of the X Window System limit the use of
parallelism.  To some extent, modifications to the current
implementation could take better advantage of the multiprocessor
architecture, but certain fundamental bottlenecks cannot be
eliminated.  Based upon an analysis of the X Window System and other
window systems, a new window system design is proposed.  This new
design is intended to allow for exploitation of the maximum potential
parallelism in window system functions, primarily by explicitly
separating screen management functions from graphics rendering
functions.

End Abstract

Just to make sure that there isn't any misconception, I'll point out
that I don't provide specific solutions to the bottlenecks present in X
(i.e. the sample server from MIT), but rather describe a generic window
system architecture more appropriate for a tightly coupled
multiprocessor (i.e. frame buffer(s) and rendering processors on a
shared bus).  Note that this is a description of an architecture, not
an implementation (yet).

Most of the interesting parts of the thesis were turned into a paper
published in the Graphics Interface '89 proceedings.  (What was left
out was mostly background information on Harmony, window systems, X, as
well as the description of the X implementation under Harmony.) If you
can find a copy of the proceedings you may find that adequate.
--

jkrueger@uunet.UU.NET (Jon) (10/13/89)

hpk@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (howard.p.katseff) writes:

>I recently sent out a request for information about how to speed up the
>X window system by distributing the X server over a multiprocessor
>network.

>I got one useful reply: a pointer to a Masters thesis by Jeff Kelley
>(uunet!watmath!watcgl!jvkelley).

>Abstract

>This thesis discusses the design and implementation of a window system
>for a tightly coupled multiprocessor workstation...Bottlenecks
>inherent in the design of the X Window System limit the use of
>parallelism.

You asked for a distributed X.  You cite discussion of a parallel X.
Which do you want?

-- Jon
--
Jonathan Krueger    jkrueger@daitc.daitc.mil   uunet!dgis!jkrueger
Isn't it interesting that the first thing you do with your