[comp.parallel] Hypercube versus Grids

segall@vangogh.rutgers.edu (11/28/89)

I did not see the original article by Eugene Brooks, so I'm responding
to this extract that appeared in Wen-King Su's reply.

> In article <7130@hubcap.clemson.edu> brooks@maddog.llnl.gov writes:
> <                         It is interesting to note that the orginal message
> >passing machine at Caltech was proposed as a grid, not a hypercube.  The
> <Computer scientists there thought that hypercubes were prettier at the time
> >and forced the physicists to learn Grey codes to get their physics problem
> <mappings done.

In Charles Lang's thesis (Caltech CS dept, early '80s, advisor Chuck
Seitz), a number of interconnection topologies were investigated.
These included simulations of a variety of topologies, including grids
and hypercubes.  Under the communication model they were assuming,
the hypercube outperformed the grid network for a variety of
problems, for reasons mentioned in Wen-King Su's posting.  The choice
was based on facts, not asthetics.  Later developments provided a new
communication method, and grids are better choice with that method.

--Ed
--

uucp:   {...}!rutgers!caip.rutgers.edu!segall
arpa:   segall@caip.rutgers.edu