[comp.parallel] Pairing applications and architectures

chang@uunet.uu.net (11/13/89)

Does anyone know of work done in pairing applications and
parallel architectures ?  More precisely, I'm looking for
methodologies to characterize applications and architectures,
and identifying good matches between the two sets.
Studies on parallel architecture performance evaluation and
prediction will also be very helpful.

I'll be happy to summarise the responses.

Many thanks !

Yianleng
Yianleng Chang @ CompSc,U of Alberta,Edmonton,Alberta,Canada T6G 2H1
e-mail: chang@cs.ualberta.ca  ||  yian@ualtamts.bitnet  ||
        alberta!chang@uunet.uu.net

byrd@portia.Stanford.EDU (Greg Byrd) (11/15/89)

In article <7020@hubcap.clemson.edu> watmath!alberta!chang@uunet.uu.net writes:

>Does anyone know of work done in pairing applications and
>parallel architectures ?  More precisely, I'm looking for
>methodologies to characterize applications and architectures,
>and identifying good matches between the two sets.

Vipin Kumar's "isoefficiency functions" might be useful. See:

V. Kumar and V. N. Rao, "Parallel Depth First Search: Part II --
   Analysis," _International_Journal_of_Parallel_Programming_,
   Vol. 16, No. 6, December 1987, pp. 501-519.

...Greg

kumar@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU (Vipin Kumar) (11/30/89)

In article <7040@hubcap.clemson.edu>, byrd@portia.Stanford.EDU (Greg Byrd) writes:
> In article <7020@hubcap.clemson.edu> watmath!alberta!chang@uunet.uu.net writes:
> >
> >Does anyone know of work done in pairing applications and
> >parallel architectures ?  More precisely, I'm looking for
> >methodologies to characterize applications and architectures,
> >and identifying good matches between the two sets.
>

> Vipin Kumar's "isoefficiency functions" might be useful. See:
>
> V. Kumar and V. N. Rao, "Parallel Depth First Search: Part II --
>    Analysis," _International_Journal_of_Parallel_Programming_,
>    Vol. 16, No. 6, December 1987, pp. 501-519.
>

> ...Greg

For a revised version of the above paper, see:

       AUTHOR = "Vipin Kumar and V. N. Rao",
       TITLE = "Scalable Parallel Formulations of Depth-First Search",
       EDITOR = "Vipin Kumar and P. S. Gopalakrishnan and Laveen Kanal",
       BOOKTITLE = "Parallel Algorithms for Machine Intelligence and Vision",
       PUBLISHER = "Springer-Verlag",
       ADDRESS = "New York",
       YEAR = "February, 1990 (to apear)"
       }

For other reports/papers on isoefficiency analysis, write/send mail to:

US Mail: Dr. Vipin Kumar
         Associate Professor
         Computer science Department
         University of Minnesota