>From fpst@hubcap.clemson.edu Fri Feb  9 16:45:33 1990
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 90 08:13:39 -0500
From: fpst@hubcap.clemson.edu (Steve Stevenson)
To: DELAGI@SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU, workman@argosy,
        awilkinson@nasamail.nasa.gov, chokchai@encore.kent.edu,
        dwk@cs.tufts.edu, harrison@tcg.anl.gov, hcube-users@hamlet.caltech.edu,
        hcube-users@mtu.edu, incoming-parallel@ntt-20.ntt.jp,
        kaojh@eecs.nwu.edu, lnl%psuecl.bitnet@relay.cs.net,
        local-parallel%inmos.co.uk@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk,
        munnari!sheila.cs.jcu.oz.au!olivier@uunet.UU.NET,
        pratt@cs.stanford.edu, rkz@TYRANNOSAURUS.SCRC.Symbolics.COM,
        scherrer@lovada.dec.com, yuris@flossie.che.wisc.edu

Newsgroups: comp.parallel
From: valoisj@turing.cs.rpi.edu (John Valois)
Subject: Non-optimal parallel algorithms

I am looking for references to problems for which the best known
parallel algorithms are not optimal; i.e. the work (processor-time
product) done by the parallel algorithm is greater than the running
time of a sequential algorithm.

Three problems I know of are integer sorting, maximal independent set,
and unweighted single source shortest paths. I am especially
interested in problems for which the parallel and sequential work
differ by more than a log factor.

Replies by e-mail, please.

John Valois