[comp.parallel] Paper

fc@uunet.UU.NET (07/04/89)

I'd like a copy [Performance of CM], if possible. Any media will do.
if e-mailing,send to the address below. The site this
message is originating from is my summer job.

Franco Carlacci
Dept. of Computing Science
6th floor, General Service building
University of Alberta
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

franco@alberta.UUCP

eugene@eos.arc.nasa.gov (Eugene Miya) (02/21/90)

Dear apprentice generalizer: 8^)

In article <8075@hubcap.clemson.edu> you write:
>When compiling bibliographies, it would be most helpful if one asked such
>questions as
>	1- Has the system been implemented for real ?
>	2- Is it available to external sites ?
>	3- Does anybody actually use it for serious work ?
>
>I am sure this would reduce the size of such bibliographies by various
>orders of magnitude.  It would also improve their utility by the same
>factor or more, esp on lists such as this one.

I am more than happy to integrate a consistent system of keywords
into my bibliography.  I made a commitment to maintain mine 10 years.
Annotations and added keywords are most welcome.  I integrate those
bibs posted to various boards when I have time as well.  [I will tell you
right now that "real" isn't a good word.  "available" and "serious"
are also subject to question.  But we can iterate.]  One can see
differing commentary in some of the annotations in my bib with the
data flow and control flow people arguing.

I just have to receive the feedback.  If I don't get it, it's lost
in the wire: out into the virtual Ether.  Hey and it's free, I just have to
keep Prentice-Hall happy, since they hold Satyararanyan's copyright.
You should just ask whom at CMU has the current copy (perhaps HT Kung).

Yet Another gross generalization from

--eugene miya, NASA Ames Research Center, eugene@aurora.arc.nasa.gov
  resident cynic at the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:
  "If my mail does not reach you, please accept my apology."
  {ncar,decwrl,hplabs,uunet}!ames!eugene
  Do you expect anything BUT generalizations on the net?
  [If it ain't source, it ain't software -- D. Tweten]

fpst@hubcap.clemson.edu (Steve Stevenson) (02/21/90)

In article <8081@hubcap.clemson.edu> frazier@CS.UCLA.EDU (Greg Frazier) writes:

>One of the major problems in academia today (in my opinion)
>is the fad for implementing systems, be they hardware or
>software.  In many cases, the implementations are simply
>attempts to drum up money (which is often successful).  If
>a concept can be clearly demonstrated without implementation,
>then universities have no business implementing them - the students'
>time would be better spent doing original research rather than
>implementing algorithms whose validity has already been
>demonstrated.  While, indeed, one cannot *know* a parallel/distributed
>language, OS, or machine will "work" until one actually sees it
>running, if we don't even look at peoples' work until it is at
>that stage, the delay between conception and revelation of ideas
>will be HUGE!!!  I want to hear about those ideas sooner than that.

In many cases, a concepts useful ness cannot be demonstrated without
implementing at least a prototype of said system. A researcher may have
missed some crucial sync-point or other unexpected external force. The point
is that while an implementation of a system (even a prototype) shouldn't be
done until the concept has been proven useful/germane/valid one can't say
the concept is *usable* without being sure that everything has been acounted
for. In most cases, the most resonable way to accomplish this is to write a
prototype and pound on it. IMHO, feasability studies are still in the domain
of the researcher. You may claim that that is really an engineer's job, but
(again) IMHO, an engineer uses *proven* technology to get the job done.

I think it's irresponsible to just sit around brainstorming about ideas
all the time. You loose track of the real world if you don't actually *do*
something tangable. Furthermore, who's going to fund you if you don't get
results. One of the advantages of funding research in the university is
that it's *cheap*.

Now, I agree with your complaint about the delay between conception and
revelation of ideas is too large. However, that is due to the inadequacy
of proto-typing tools, NOT "The System". Fortunately, lot's of work is
being done in that area as of late and I don't think it will be too long
before we have tools powerful enough to quickly implement prototypes of
new ideas with much less overhead (in fact, the tools will pop up much
sooner in universities).

	Charlie Fineman

"Don't worry, be a happy fatalist"

InterNET: fineman@pluto.arc.nasa.gov

--
Steve Stevenson                            fpst@hubcap.clemson.edu
(aka D. E. Stevenson),                     steve@hubcap.clemson.edu

retrac@titan.rice.edu (John Carter) (02/22/90)

In article <8075@hubcap.clemson.edu> af@spice.cs.cmu.edu (Alessandro Forin) writes:
>When compiling bibliographies, it would be most helpful if one asked such
>questions as
>	1- Has the system been implemented for real ?
>	2- Is it available to external sites ?
>	3- Does anybody actually use it for serious work ?
>
>I am sure this would reduce the size of such bibliographies by various
>orders of magnitude.  It would also improve their utility by the same
>factor or more, esp on lists such as this one.

It really depends on what you want the bibliography for.  If what you're
interested in is the current research going on in the field, then you want
to know about *all* the work that's been done or proposed so that you can
decide for yourself what are the good ideas and what aren't.  You wouldn't
really care if the people with the "neat idea" have spent the <big number>
of man hours necessary to clean up the user-interface, remove the last few
bugs, write up the nice user documentation, and otherwise make the idea
"commercial quality".  That's the difference between the R and the D in R&D
(research and development).

Of course, it *is* useful to know which systems/algorithms/whatever *are*
"commercial quality", but not so that you can discard the rest as so much
trash.  For example, Apple commercialized the ideas that were developed at
Xerox PARC for mouse-driven, window-oriented user interfaces, but that
certainly doesn't make Apple's "research" the only stuff worth having in
your bibliography!  Quite the opposite, in fact.

>As far as I know, the bib on DSM would contain, at this time, only one entry:
>Mach.  And Linda, if we use the most general definition.
>
>I'd be happy to be convinced there are more.

As far as I know, Mach is the only system that claims to meet your three
requirements stated above.  However, I certainly don't think that the only
research in the area of distributed shared memory that is worth reading
about is that associated with Mach.  I hope that you don't think that,
either.  Leaving Kai Li's Ivy system out of a bibliography on DSM just
because it isn't in wide circulation is silly.  Research != Development.

--
John Carter     (retrac@rice.edu -or- {any-Internet-node}!rice!retrac)
Rice University, Dept of Computer Science, Houston, TX

         Go OWLS!  Go ROCKETS!  Go DOLPHINS!  Go REDS!