[comp.parallel] HC -> Pyramid

fernau%ira.uka.de@RELAY.CS.NET (Henning Fernau) (05/29/90)

\I haven't read the following reference, but it sounds good:

Q.F. Stout: Pyramids and Hypercubes, IN: V. Cantoni and S. Levialdi (Eds.):
Pyramidal Systems for Computer Vision. Springer-Verlag, New York, 1986,
75--89.

Yours sincerely,

Henning Fernau
Lehrstuhl Informatik fuer Ingenieure und Naturwissenschaftler
University of Karlsruhe
Am Fasanengarten 5
D-7500 Karlsruhe 1

phone: [West Germany](0721)608-4336
email:fernau@ira.uka.de

muttiah@cs.purdue.edu (Ranjan Samuel Muttiah) (05/30/90)

In article <9143@hubcap.clemson.edu> fernau%ira.uka.de@RELAY.CS.NET (Henning Fernau) writes:
>\I haven't read the following reference, but it sounds good:
>
>Q.F. Stout: Pyramids and Hypercubes, IN: V. Cantoni and S. Levialdi (Eds.):
>Pyramidal Systems for Computer Vision. Springer-Verlag, New York, 1986,
>75--89.

	Yes, that was the one I was interested in.  Thank everyone
who sent in their help.  I was _speculating_ on using a pyramidal
system for something like a Fukushima net.   If I may summarize
(and please do feel free to correct me):

	For nodes that are a maximum of three links apart it is
just a matter of overlaying so to speak the traditional gray codes
for meshes.  Each sub block of the overlay has a specific parent node
responsible for the kids below.  For a maximum of two links apart
Stout gives a formula without proof [though I'm too lazy to prove it,
induction should work I think].  The formula does seem valid.
One should note that in a pyramid there can be an odd number of
communication links for messages that are sent and received back
to the same place where as the hypercube only has an even number
IF one uses only the required number of processors.  There is always
the case of using a "dummy" processor for communication purposes
only!

Problems:Pyramids seem to be rather inefficient for interlevel
	computations.  The more one does computations at _each_
	level the more efficient the machine becomes.