[comp.parallel] Creation of Mailing List for BBN Butterfly-switch based systems

jbatson@BBN.COM (Jay Batson) (07/06/90)

On June 28, 1990, in response to numerous requests, BBN Advanced
Computers created new mailing list for discussion on topics concerning
machines that we make.  Effective immediately, you may send mail to

			bf-net@bbn.com

and it will be forwarded to a wide audience of people interested in
using the TC2000 and GP1000 computers.  As of today, the list consists
of more than 125 people at numerous commercial and scientific sites
around the world.  (Yes, there are foreign sites with our machines.)

The list is unmoderated.  BBN ACI will serve only as mailing list
administrator, and as participants in the list traffic.  We will not be
exercising any editorial censorship of the postings, although you will
see postings by BBN ACI people, both in response to other postings as
well as original mail (as could only be expected).

The list currently contains as many names as I could gather in a couple
of hours of looking through obvious places, like our customer support
database, old mail, etc.  However, I know that I have omitted a large
number of possibly interested people.  There are many people who will
read this who are the only person at their site actively reading news.
Could everyone interested in the new list make some kind of effort to
discover the potentially interested people at your site and pass this
news posting onto them?  Don't just forward this to some
wide-distribution list at your site without asking around first - if
everyone at your site did that, well, nobody would want to sort through
_that_ resulting avalanche of mail....

If you either wish to be on the list and are not, or if I have put you
on the list and you don't wish to be, please send mail to:
	bf-net-request@bbn.com
and I will make the changes.
			PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE
do not send requests for additions/deletions to the list itself - other
people on the list usually don't like to have to sort through tons of
these administrative requests to get to the "real" postings.

The list is ready now.  We hope this is a useful vehicle for you to
share information and obtain feedback from other users.

Jay Batson
BBN ACI Software Product Support
UUCP:	...!harvard!bbn.com!jbatson				617-873-4119
DOMAIN:	jbatson@bbn.com			"Parallel processing can be fun!"

rick@goforit.ads.com (Rick Chestek) (07/11/90)

Identified below is a mailing list that I'd like to subscribe to.  If
appropriate, could you set it up as a regular newsgroup here?  If you
decide not to, please let me know so that I can subscribe personally.

In article <9579@hubcap.clemson.edu> you write: