[comp.parallel] a MIMD and a SIMD vendor

cameron@decwrl.dec.com (Cameron Spitzer) (07/31/90)

In Article 1555 of comp.parallel:: gvw@castle.ed.ac.uk (Greg Wilson)
writes:
> Date: 20 Jul 90 19:28:46 GMT

Sorry, folks, for using net bandwidth, but the mail just bounces.

> I am trying to put together a list of companies which built and sold
> parallel computers between 1985 and 1990, where "parallel" has purposely
> been left undefined for the moment.  If you know of, or are working for,

Hi Greg,
	Two for your list:
(1)
ARIX Computer Corp.
821 Fox Lane
San Jose Ca 95131 USA
(408)432-1200
Like the Sequent, the ARIX System 90 is a tightly coupled multiprocessor
based on merchant microprocessors, running a very good port of System V.
One technical person there is James Cleverdon, ...!uunet!sun!aeras!foxy!james

(2)
MasPar Computer Corp.
749 North Mary Avenue
Sunnyvale Ca 94086 USA
(408)736-3300
Your sales rep in the UK is Bryan Schutes.  Phone 011-44-734-753388
Fax 011-44-734-313939.  The UK sales office is
First Base, Suite 60
Beacontree Plaza
Gillette Way
Reading RG2 0BP
Berkshire England
MasPar builds a massively parallel SIMD machine with configurations
from 1024 to 16384 data processors.  The big configuration delivers
(I'm quoting our press release here) up to 26000 MIPs and
1300 MFLOPs.  We have an "extended C" and a FORTRAN 90, and a modern
debugging environment which runs on a standard Berkeley Unix
workstation.

Cameron Spitzer     cameron@maspar.com argosy!cameron@decwrl.com

=====This is MY opinion, NOT MasPar's, NOT ARIX', but you may borrow
============it if you have no opinions of your own!  :-)  ==========