[comp.parallel] PARALLEL C implementations

MBRENNAN@cs.tcd.ie (Micheal O Braonain, F34 IOR, Foline 1797) (09/11/90)

I am interested in finding out about (commercial) implementations of
parallel C, which run in a Unix/Ultrix or perhaps DOS/Xenix  environment.

Perhaps you could tell me its Name, Vendor, approx Price, and any
personal experiences you have had with it.  I will post a summary to
the net if there is sufficient interest.

Secondly, has anybody heard anything about parallel C++ ?
                     ,   ,
Thanks in advance,  Micheal.
 ,   ,  ,      ,              ,       ,         ,          , ,      ,
Micheal O Braonain     Roinn Riomheolaiocht, Colaiste Na Trinoide, BAC 2.
Email                  mbrennan@cs.tcd.ie

jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend) (09/12/90)

In article <10423@hubcap.clemson.edu> MBRENNAN@cs.tcd.ie (Micheal O Braonain, F34 IOR, Foline 1797) writes:
>I am interested in finding out about (commercial) implementations of
>parallel C, which run in a Unix/Ultrix or perhaps DOS/Xenix  environment.

While this isn't a commercial package, you might want to look at
Parallel C, written by some folks from Penn State (who are now
at my university).

Essentially, it's a set of extensions to C that makes life on MIMD
machines very easy.  Things like
y = +{x}; /* add x from each node and store in my y */
along with range operations, etc.

I've ported this package so that it runs under CalTech's Cosmic
Environment...

If you like, you can ftp it from karazm.math.uh.edu (129.7.7.6).
--
J. Eric Townsend -- University of Houston Dept. of Mathematics (713) 749-2120
Internet: jet@uh.edu

ins_atge@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Thomas G Edwards) (09/13/90)

In article <10423@hubcap.clemson.edu> MBRENNAN@cs.tcd.ie (Micheal O Braonain, F34 IOR, Foline 1797) writes:
>I am interested in finding out about (commercial) implementations of
>parallel C, which run in a Unix/Ultrix or perhaps DOS/Xenix  environment.

Thinking Machines Corp. has something called C* for its Connection
Machines.  It allows parallel variables to be stored across many processors.

-Tom

rcarter@uunet.UU.NET (Russell L. Carter) (09/14/90)

In article <10443@hubcap.clemson.edu> ins_atge@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu (Thomas G Edwards) writes:
>In article <10423@hubcap.clemson.edu> MBRENNAN@cs.tcd.ie (Micheal O Braonain, F34 IOR, Foline 1797) writes:
>>I am interested in finding out about (commercial) implementations of
>>parallel C, which run in a Unix/Ultrix or perhaps DOS/Xenix  environment.
>
>Thinking Machines Corp. has something called C* for its Connection
>Machines.  It allows parallel variables to be stored across many processors.
>
>-Tom

True, but you'll need a connection machine to run your programs.  You
can get a VAX running ULTRIX as a front end, too, if you've got any
extra bucks.

Russell Carter		(415) 604-4999		rcarter@wilbur.nas.nasa.gov

M/S 258-6, NASA Ames Research Center, Moffet Field, CA, USA, 94035-1000

eugene@uunet.UU.NET (Eugene N. Miya) (09/14/90)

Parallel C?  WHICH parallel C?

jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend) (09/15/90)

In article <10467@hubcap.clemson.edu> ames!wilbur.nas.nasa.gov!eugene@uunet.UU.NET (Eugene N. Miya) writes:
>Parallel C?  WHICH parallel C?

There is a *real* problem with name overloading and MIMD C compilers...