Subject: Re: Parallel constraint solving
From: Cesar A Quiroz <quiroz@cs.rochester.edu>

You may try contacting Prof. Doug Baldwin (SUNY Geneseo).  You can
write to him at

    baldwin@cs.rochester.edu (forwarded to him)
or
    baldwin%geneseo@vm.cc.rochester.edu

Cesar
---2-----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: David Bader <dbader@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU>

I'd be VERY interested in anything you find out about solving parallel
constraint problems.  I am doing EXACTLY that in research and am
looking for ideas.  Please keep me informed!
  -david

David A. Bader                             Permanent Addr:
CSEE Dept., Packard Lab                    1402 Lorain Avenue
Lehigh University                          Bethlehem, Pa. 18018
Bethlehem, Pa.  18015                      (215) 868-1311
(215) 974-8995

---3-----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: M D Brown <malcolm@castle.ed.ac.uk>
Hi,

I assume that the PhD thesis of V.J. Saraswat from MIT will have a lot to
say regarding  parallel constraint solving.

Malcolm Brown : malcolm@castle.edinburgh.ac.uk
Edinburgh Parallel Computing Centre

---4-----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: gupta@compsci.bristol.ac.uk

There is a lot of work going on in parallel constraint solving
in the context of logic programming (some in my own group). See
the proceedings of the recent logic programming
conferences. Also, Vijay Saraswat's
Ph.D. diss. (winner of ACM doctoral diss. award for 1990)
published by MIT press (title: concurrent constraint programming)
would be of interest.

-Gopal Gupta,
Parallel Logic Programming Research Group,
Department of Computer Science,
University of Bristol,
Queens's Building, University Walk,
Bristol, BS8 1TR.
email : US: gupta%compsci.bristol.ac.uk@NSS.Cs.Ucl.AC.UK
            gupta@cs.unc.edu
        Europe: gupta@compsci.bristol.ac.uk

---5-----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: Andrew R Wilson <anwi@castle.ed.ac.uk>

I suggest you obtain a copy of Vijay Saraswat's Ph.D. thesis
  "Concurrent Constraint Programming Languages"  1989,
  CMU-CS-89-108.  He works for Xerox Parc now.

   Andrew Wilson.

---6-----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: zenith-steven@CS.YALE.EDU (Steven Ericsson Zenith)
Subject: RE: Parallel Solution of Contraint Language Problems

   Does anybody out there has any experience with, or pointers to
   parallel solving of constraint languages problems?

   I read the book by Wm. Leler ... [many questions]

I strongly suspect that the person you should contact is Wm Leler -
whom I have no doubt has given a lot of consideration to all the
questions you ask. Wm was doing some work out of the Oregon Graduate
Centre but I haven't heard from him in a while. Wm? Are you out there?

Steven.
--
Steven Ericsson Zenith              *            email: zenith@cs.yale.edu
Fax: (203) 466 2768                 |            voice: (203) 466 2587

---7-----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: kddlab!icot32.icot.or.jp!hawley@uunet.UU.NET (David John Hawley)

In article <10852@hubcap.clemson.edu> laffra@serc.nl (Chris Laffra) writes:
>Question:
>
>Does anybody out there has any experience with, or pointers to
>parallel solving of constraint languages problems?

There were some initial results published by the CHIP (constraint
logic programming language) group at ECRC, on combining finite-domain
constraints (i.e. CSP) with the PEPSys parallel logic programming
language/system.  I've heard rumours that this work has been abandoned
because of poor performance.

A visiting researcher did some work on single and all-solutions search
wrt CSP problems, and got quite reasonable results for systems on the order
of 10s of processors. I don't remember the details.

For constraint solving using a symbolic algebra approach (for example,
to solve polynomial equations), there has been some work on
parallelizing the Buchberger algorithm, reported in "Computer Algebra
and Parallelism", Dora & Fitch, Academic Press.  The results are not
encouraging. The CAL group at ICOT is very interested in this
approach, and so we are continuing to explore it's parallization.

>Can you combine constraints with a parallel object-oriented
>language?

There is some work being done at Xerox PARC by Kahn & Saraswat
on this, based on the message-based programming paradigm often used
with concurrent logic languages. However, the class of constraints
considered maybe different from the usual conception.

To the extent that concurrent logic languages can be considered to be
object-oriented, both ourselves and some people at SICS are working
in this area.

David Hawley, ICOT, 4th Lab
csnet: hawley%icot.jp@relay.cs.net uucp:{enea,inria,mit-eddie,ukc}!icot!hawley
ICOT, 1-4-28 Mita, Minato-ku, Tokyo 108 JAPAN. TEL/FAX {81-3-456-}2514/1618

chris laffra.