[comp.parallel] Help on hardware purchase requested

mike@zeus.ee.uwa.oz.au (Mike Alder) (10/16/90)

We are looking for a commercially available parallel processing
system hardware and software in the region of Oz$200,000 for
applications involving neural nets. This rules out  VLIW and
systolic arrays and makes n-cubes unattractive. Something like
a farm architecture is what we are after. We would prefer a system
that is expandable as the money rolls in and with some scope for
software and hardware configuration switching.

Does anyone know of machines coming within cooee of this? Please
reply to

mike@swanee.ee.uwa.oz.au
or fax to Dr.M.D.Alder at (09) 380 1028  [Australia]
or mike@madvax.maths.uwa.oz.au

Early replies appreciated and acknowledged.

jov@stc06.ctd.ornl.gov (JONES J P) (10/18/90)

In <10976@hubcap.clemson.edu> mike@zeus.ee.uwa.oz.au (Mike Alder) writes:

>We are looking for a commercially available parallel processing
>system...in the region of Oz$200,000...expandable as the money rolls in...

Recently got a flyer from Computer Systems Architects, 950 N. University
Ave., Provo, Utah with lots of attractive-looking quotes on Transputer
products. For example, 25 Mhz T805 w/ 1Mbyte @ US$1138 ea. So 64 of these
things (4 each on 16 boards in a 21 slot VME crate) are $73K, right? Add
a front-end & software & some other stuff and you have a pretty nifty
system for about 100K. Money rolls in...add another crate-full.

(a) Does this seem sensible to you? (What am I missing here?)

(b) Does anyone have any direct experience with these systems? (Lotsa gotchas?)

Judd Jones -- jonesjp@ornl.gov