[comp.parallel] 2-D FFT on Hypercube Computers

rli@tybalt.caltech.edu (Rongsheng Li) (12/07/90)

Dear Netters,

   I am seeking 2-D FFT algorithms on the Hypercube multicomputers. I didn't
find it in any  literatures. Could anyone offer me some information on this?
Or show me some references if you know about this. Thank you in advance.

R.S.Li,
E-mail:rli@tybalt.caltech.edu

ercal@umriscc.isc.umr.edu (Fikret Ercal) (12/08/90)

Here is a reference :
"Comparison of Two-Dimensional FFT Methods on the Hypercube"
by Clare Y. Chu, Proc. of 4th Hypercube CCA Conf., 1988, pp.1430-1437.

Fikret Ercal

Marco.Zagha@enquirer.scandal.cs.cmu.edu (12/08/90)

In article <12121@hubcap.clemson.edu>, rli@tybalt.caltech.edu (Rongsheng Li) writes:
>    I am seeking 2-D FFT algorithms on the Hypercube multicomputers. I didn't
> find it in any  literatures. Could anyone offer me some information on this?
> Or show me some references if you know about this. Thank you in advance.

Zapata, E.L.; Rivera, F.F.; Benavides, I.; Carazo, J.M.; Peskin, R.
Dept. Electron., Fac. de Fisica, Santiago de Compostela, Spain,
"Multidimensional fast Fourier transform into SIMD hypercubes",
IEE Proceedings E (Computers and Digital Techniques); vol.137, no.4;
July 1990; pp. 253-60.

Camarda, P.; Castagnolo, B.; Corsi, F.; Di Lecce, V.
Dipartimento di Elettronica ed Elettrotecnica, Univ. degli Studi,
Bari, Italy
"Design and cost evaluation of simple interconnection circuits for
multiprocessor systems"
1988 IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems.
Proceedings (Cat. No.88CH2458-8); pp. 185-8 vol.1; Espoo, Finland;
7-9 June 1988
 ABSTRACT  The generalized hypercube (GHC) interconnection network is used in
           the design of a processor for parallel implementation of a 2D-FFT
           (two-dimensional fast Fourier transform) algorithm. An interface has
           been designed, up to layout level, capable of signalling
           transmission errors, utilizing in this way the characteristics of
           the structure. The design has also allowed the determination of the
           cost of the network: although the pure hardware cost is higher with
           respect to other simpler structures; the cost/performance ratio
           still favours the GHC

Kamin, R.A., III; Adams, G.B., III
Purdue Univ., W. Lafayette, IN, USA
"Fast Fourier transform algorithm design and tradeoffs on the CM-2"
International Journal of High Speed Computing; vol.1, no.2;
June 1989; pp. 207-31
Scientific Applications of the Connection Machine Conference;
Moffett Field, CA, USA; 12-14 Sept. 1988
 ABSTRACT  The fast Fourier transform is a mainstay of certain numerical
           techniques for solving fluid dynamics problems. The Connection
           Machine CM-2 is the target for an investigation into the design of
           multidimensional SIMD parallel FFT algorithms for high performance.
           Critical algorithm design issues are discussed, necessary machine
           performance measurements are identified and made, and the
           performance of the developed FFT programs are measured. The authors
           FFT programs are compared to the best Cray-2 FFT library program,
           CFFT2. The authors programs are listed in c/Paris 5.0 version

== Marco Zagha
Internet: marcoz@cs.cmu.edu            Uucp:   ...!seismo!cs.cmu.edu!marcoz
Bitnet:   marcoz%cs.cmu.edu@cmuccvma   CSnet:  marcoz%cs.cmu.edu@relay.cs.net

marcoz@enquirer.scandal.cs.cmu.edu (Marco Zagha) (12/08/90)

In article <12121@hubcap.clemson.edu>, rli@tybalt.caltech.edu (Rongsheng Li) writes:
>    I am seeking 2-D FFT algorithms on the Hypercube multicomputers. I didn't
> find it in any  literatures. Could anyone offer me some information on this?
> Or show me some references if you know about this. Thank you in advance.

S. Lennart Johnsson, Robert L. Krawitz, Douglas MacDonald, and
Roger Frye. "Radix-2 FFT on the Connection Machine." Technical Report NA89-2,
Thinking Machines Corp.

S. Lennart Johnsson, Ching-Tien Ho, Michel Jacquemin, and Alan Ruttenberg.
"Computing fast Fourier transforms on Boolean cubes and related networks."
In "Advanced Algorithms and Architectures for Signal Processing II", pages
223--231, Society of Photo-Optical Instrumentation Engineers, 1987.