[comp.parallel] Distributed/Asynchronous OO Software

lance@uunet.UU.NET (12/18/90)

The tutorials on OO that I've read generally don't address parallel
or distributed OO work, except for the SmallTalk doccos which specifically
say that OO (or at least their OO) doesn't help with concurrent programming.

Has there been any work in using OO messaging as the basis for distributed
programming?  How far has this topic progressed?  Are there any designs
publicly available for research purposes?  For network software?  For
parallel computing?  Has anyone cooked up an RPC-like system where you
specify an asychronous (RPC is synchronous) OO messaging protocol and it
generates software stubs for you to fill in?  Are there any debuggers available?

turner@sp64.csrd.uiuc.edu (Steve Turner) (12/19/90)

There has been a *lot* of work on concurrent OO programing and
languages.  I would suggest that you look into:

Gul Agha's work  with Actors (sorry no reference handy)

Andrew Chien's PhD thesis from MIT (finished this year, I think in June),

"Object-oriented concurrent programming" edited by Akinori Yonezawa
and Mario Tokoro. from MIT Press, c1987 ocm14-719682.

These all fall into a single "school" of approaches to OO concurrency,
since they all (more or less) derive from the Actor model proposed by
Agha.   I would be interested to hear about any other separate schools
of thought that someone may have a reference to.

Of course, a perusal of recent OOPSLA and ECOOP proceedings would
probably turn up a few...
--
    Steve Turner (on the Si prairie  - UIUC CSRD)

    ARPANET:  turner@csrd.uiuc.edu
    Phone:    (217) 244-7293 or (217) 367-0882

    I went walking in the wasted city / Started thinking about entropy
    Smelled the wind from the ruined river / Went home to watch TV
                                                 -- Warren Zevon

rdthomps@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Robert D. Thompson) (12/20/90)

In article <12323@hubcap.clemson.edu> decwrl!apple.com!motcsd!greek!lance@uunet.UU.NET writes:
>The tutorials on OO that I've read generally don't address parallel
>or distributed OO work, except for the SmallTalk doccos which specifically
>say that OO (or at least their OO) doesn't help with concurrent programming.
>
>Has there been any work in using OO messaging as the basis for distributed
>programming?  How far has this topic progressed?  Are there any designs
>publicly available for research purposes?  For network software?  For
>parallel computing?  Has anyone cooked up an RPC-like system where you
>specify an asychronous (RPC is synchronous) OO messaging protocol and it
>generates software stubs for you to fill in?  Are there any debuggers available?

	How about "ACTORS: A Model for Distributed Applications..."

	The title is something like that, someone may want to follow
	up with the ISBN, etc...

	I remember glancing at the book...it is largely based on
	mail-queueing etc...

	Again, someone may want to follow up with details.

---
Robert D. Thompson
rdthomps@vela.acs.oakland.edu

feldy@CS.UCLA.EDU (Bob Felderman) (12/20/90)

>	How about "ACTORS: A Model for Distributed Applications..."
>
>	The title is something like that, someone may want to follow
>	up with the ISBN, etc...

HERE'S THE REFERENCE

        Author:  Agha, Gul A.
         Title:  Actors : a model of concurrent computation in distributed
                   systems / Gul A. Agha.

     Published:  Cambridge, Mass. : MIT Press, c1986.
        Series:  The MIT Press series in artificial intelligence

    Subject(s):  Electronic data processing--Distributed processing.
                 Parallel processing (Electronic computers)
         Notes:  Includes index.
                 Bibliography: p. 137-140.

--
Bob Felderman                   	         feldy@cs.ucla.edu
UCLA Computer Science   	...!{rutgers,ucbvax}!cs.ucla.edu!feldy

chalmers@europarc.xerox.com (Matthew Chalmers) (12/20/90)

In article <12323@hubcap.clemson.edu>, decwrl!apple.com!motcsd!greek!lance@uunet.UU.NET writes:
> The tutorials on OO that I've read generally don't address parallel
> or distributed OO work, except for the SmallTalk doccos which specifically
> say that OO (or at least their OO) doesn't help with concurrent programming.
>
> Has there been any work in using OO messaging as the basis for distributed
> programming?  How far has this topic progressed?  Are there any designs
> publicly available for research purposes?  For network software?  For
> parallel computing?  Has anyone cooked up an RPC-like system where you
> specify an asychronous (RPC is synchronous) OO messaging protocol and it
> generates software stubs for you to fill in?  Are there any debuggers available?

Sigplan 24(4) April 89 is an excellent survey of what's going on, and (real
soon now) the proceedings of this year's Object-Based Concurrent
Programming Workshop at OOPSLA will be in a Sigplan special issue.
Some of the best papers were also published in OOPSLA itself.

Also there are a few books from the MIT Press. Look for the names of
editors Yonezewa and/or Tokoro.

Regards,

Matthew Chalmers
Rank Xerox EuroPARC, 61 Regent St., Cambridge, CB2 1AB, U.K.