[comp.parallel] CrOS

liu@buster.cps.msu.edu (Yew Liu) (01/19/91)

Hi, all !

Could anyone tell me any info about CrOS? I think it
was called Crystalline OS. I need to find any article
that explains what it is.

Thanks in advance

Yew

cherwig@hubcap.clemson.edu (christoph herwig) (01/21/91)

In article <12681@hubcap.clemson.edu> liu@buster.cps.msu.edu (Yew Liu) writes:

>Could anyone tell me any info about CrOS? I think it
>was called Crystalline OS. I need to find any article
>that explains what it is.

You are right: CrOS stands for crystalline OS. CrOS III was designed at
Caltech to run efficiently on a specific concurrent processor, the Mark
III hypercube. Two books can provide you with startup information about
CrOS III:

1. Solving problems on concurrent processors, General Techniques and
   regular problems; Volume I; G.Fox et al.; Prentice Hall; 1988

2. Solving problems on concurrent processors, Software for concurrent
   processors; Volume II; I.Angus et al.; Prentice Hall; 1990

Although CrOS III was motivated by particular design of hypercube, it
has been written to be easily implemented on other machines. As
described in Volume II, it runs particularly efficient on the
Caltech/JPL Mark III. For other commercial hypercubes, such as the nCube
and iPSc/1 (don't know about iPSc/2 or iPSc/860), it can be implemented
simply, but inefficiently, in terms of the native message-passing
primitives. On machines with other architectures, such as shared memory
multiprocessors, it is implemented by simulating the hypercube
communication channels in software.

Especially Volume II will be useful and more up-to-data. You will find
the description of the implementation on the various machines. The
appendices of both volumes give you source code and manual pages of the
'utility library'.

Christoph

Christoph Herwig
  cherwig@hubcap.clemson.edu
  Clemson University, SC
Elektrotechnik
  Technical University Aachen, Germany
technical university Aachen, germany

grunwald@foobar.colorado.edu (Dirk Grunwald) (01/23/91)

re: CrOS et al

In particular, one might note that CrOS et al follow the mindset of
the phsyics researchers at CalTech, that is, that all communication
should be either strictly local (near forces) or global (far forces).

Thus, early versions of CrOS only support communication with adjacent
neighbours and global broadcast. This was important on e.g., the
Mark-III, which was had a store and forward network, but less
important on e.g., the Intel iPSC/2 hypercube, where locality was less
important.

This is not to belittle the CrOS; it was considerably more efficient
for localized communication than e.g., Mercury, another Mark-III O/S.
(Old Ametek S-14 users will note that Mercury==mars and CrOS==whatever
it was that you actually used on the S-14). However, for other than
those special purposes, you had to ``roll your own'' multi-hop
communication primitives.