[comp.parallel] PAX

thuermel@ztivax.siemens.com (Dr Sabine Thuermel) (02/11/91)

A few days ago I read about PAX (parallel architecture extended)
by Alliant.
Is this really a combination of HW and SW features (i860+ concurrency
control instruction set plus a Unix System V extension+ PHIGS+
automatic parallelization of Fortran and C)? Will it become a standard?
If I get detailed information and if there enough interest I'll
summerize to the net.

__
Sabine Thuermel

e-mail: thuermel@ztivax.siemens.com

apfiffer@admin.cse.ogi.edu (Andy Pfiffer) (02/12/91)

In article <13043@hubcap.clemson.edu> thuermel@ztivax.siemens.com (Dr Sabine Thuermel) writes:
>A few days ago I read about PAX (parallel architecture extended)
>by Alliant.
>Is this really a combination of HW and SW features (i860+ concurrency
>control instruction set plus a Unix System V extension+ PHIGS+
>automatic parallelization of Fortran and C)? Will it become a standard?

My turn on the soapbox? Okay, these are just my opinions, but:

I doubt that PAX will become a standard.  A standard requires consensus
both in the marketplace *and* with third party developers.  A standard
also implies full and timely disclosure to all interested parties.
PAX currently has neither.  And as far as *I* can tell, it is quite closely
coupled to the i860, Alliant's hardware (and model of parallelism), and
Alliant's compiler suite.

Unless Alliant suddenly swamps the parallel systems market, PAX just won't
make the big time.

Anecdotal evidence:
After 14 months of phones calls and lengthy, often heated, meetings with
Intel sales reps, Intel politburo, the VP of i860 product marketing
(Dick Pierce), and communications with Alliant, we were never able to
extract more than marketing hype about PAX from Intel.  We still don't
know why.  The meetings or phone calls went like this:

	Us: What can you tell us about PAX?  We'd like to know.

	Intel: It's the greatest thing since sliced bread.  Will
	your product support PAX?

	Us: We expect to be i860 ABI compliant, and we will
        consider PAX compatability as well.  Our architecture and model
        of parallelism isn't like PAX, at least what we understand about it,
	but we could probably provide a compatibility library...
	We've received the marketing information; we need specifications
	and implementation details.  We can't support PAX without knowing
	what it is and how it works.

        Intel: Well, *I* don't know that much about it, but we should be
        getting the spec soon.  I can get you a press release.  I'll check
	on the spec and get back to you.

We were finally given the name and number of a person at Alliant that was
"the provider of PAX information."  That was unacceptable for us -- we
hadn't announced any i860-based product and we didn't want to call a
potential competitor and introduce ourselves.  (We did manage to get put
on a mailing list under an assumed name, however! :^)

We did get a non-disclosure copy of a spec for a potential future Intel
product from which we derived some low-level details hidden between the
lines; hardly what I'd call a PAX specification.

As of October 1990, the PAX spec was still in the hands of Alliant and
they were the sole point of contact for technical information.  That may
have changed by now.

There have been several Big Time screw-ups with the "productizing" of the
i860 (the orphaning of the Star860 platform, the delays in System V R4,
etc.), PAX is just one more fumble.  Unless you've got a big Alliant with
i860's, you'll be far more likely to see AIX/860, OS/2, NX, Minix, Mach 3.0,
Trollius, Display Postscript, or X Windows server code running than PAX on
parallel i860's.

And those fumbles are a real shame; on a per square-inch of board space
basis, the performance the i860 can potentially deliver is (was?) hard
to beat.  Mother Intel could learn a thing or two from MIPS about development
platforms, support, compilers, and how to handle a small customer...

It should be noted that the largest parallel i860 systems built to date
(iPSC/860's and the Touchstone field prototype) don't currently support PAX.

Okay, I'm done with the soapbox.  Who's next?

--
Andy Pfiffer	(503) 645-1886				apfiffer@admin.ogi.edu
Formerly w/ Cogent Research, Formerly w/ Topologix, Formerly w/ Theory Center.