[comp.parallel] Functional languages, numerical analysis, parallelism

sanjay@uunet.UU.NET (Sanjay Rajopadhye) (02/21/91)

  Hello,

  I'm looking for references on any work done on using functional languages
for numerical applications (preferably real life examples), and in
parallelizing such programs.  I believe that a student of Arvind's was working
on this (if anyone from that group ios reading this please dropo me a note).
Any other pointers will be most welcome.

  As usual, a T d H v A a N n K c S e, and I will be glad to summarize if
there is any interest.

 = Sanjay Rajopadhye, sanjay@cs.uoregon.edu	(Ph:  503 346-4407)
   Computer Science Department			(Dept Ph: 346-4408)
   120 Deschutes Hall
   University of Oregon
   Eugene, Or 97403-1202

rro@debussy.cs.colostate.edu (Rod Oldehoeft) (02/23/91)

In article <13216@hubcap.clemson.edu> sanjay@cs.uoregon.edu (Sanjay Rajopadhye) writes:
>  I'm looking for references on any work done on using functional languages
>for numerical applications (preferably real life examples), and in
>parallelizing such programs.  I believe that a student of Arvind's was working

See the December, 1990 issue of the Journal of Parallel and
Distributed Computing for "A Report on the SISAL Language Project,"
wherein you will find results of a functional language used
extensively for programming scientific applications.  The "real life
examples" include the LLNL Simple code and a photon transport
simulation.