[comp.parallel] fuzzy barrier reference sought

herlihy@crl.dec.com (Maurice Herlihy) (02/22/91)

Some time ago I remember reading about the notion of a ``fuzzy'' barrier,
two points A and B with the property that no process passes B until every
process has passed A.  Try as I might, I can't remember where I saw this.
Could someone please mail me the reference?

	Maurice Herlihy

martens@cis.ohio-state.edu (Jeff Martens) (02/22/91)

In article <1991Feb21.160438.10187@crl.dec.com> herlihy@crl.dec.com (Maurice Herlihy) writes:

>Some time ago I remember reading about the notion of a ``fuzzy'' barrier,
>two points A and B with the property that no process passes B until every
>process has passed A.  Try as I might, I can't remember where I saw this.

A good reference for the fuzzy barrier is:

@inproceedings{Gu:89,
	author = {Rajiv Gupta},
	title = {The Fuzzy Barrier},
	booktitle = {Third International Conference on Architectural Support for Programming Languages and Operating Systems},
	month = {April},
	year = {1989},
	pages = {54 -- 63}
}
--
-- Jeff (martens@cis.ohio-state.edu)

	"Don't go back to Rockville, [and] waste another year." -- R.E.M.

herlihy@crl.dec.com (Maurice Herlihy) (02/25/91)

My thanks to everyone who responded to my request for the fuzzy barrier
reference!

	Maurice Herlihy

@InProceedings{Gupta89,
	Author  = {Gupta, Rajiv},
	Title   = "{The Fuzzy Barrier: A Mechanism for High Speed Synchronization of Processors}",
	BookTitle = "{Proceedings of the Architectural Support for Programming Languages
		     and Operating Systems, Boston, MA}",
	Year      = {1989},
	Pages     = "{54-63}",
	Month     = "{April}"