paulm@Solbourne.COM (Paul Maybee)
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 1991 15:45:58 GMT

>Is there any body can suggest where I may find some papers refering to
>"The Force", a set of macros for parallel processing being developed
>in Europe ?

I know of a set of macros for parallel processing called the FORCE developed
by Harry Jordan of the Univ. of Colorado.

Harry Jordan.  Parallel Computaion with the FORCE.  ICASE 85-45, NASA
Langley Research Center, Hampton, VA, OCtober 1985.

I know there are other paper too, but this is the one I have an immediate
reference for.

From: josh@klaatu.rutgers.edu (J Storrs Hall)
Subject: Re: Paper about "The Force"

"The Force", Harry F. Jordan, U. of Col. at Boulder:  pp395-436
in Characteristics of Parallel Algorithms, Jamieson, Gannon, &
Douglas, ed., MIT Press,1987

From: jakob@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Ruediger Jakob)
Subject: Paper about "The Force"

The Force parallel programming language has been developed by
Harry F. Jordan at the University of Colorado.
It is a Fortran language extension for MIMD multiprocessors with a
shared memory programming model. The language is implemented with a
preprocessor; work on a compiler is in progress.
The Force has been ported to the following machines:

   Cray X-MP,Y-MP
   Alliant FX/8
   Sequent Symmetry and Balance
   Encore Multimax
   HEP (Heterogenous Element Processor)
   Flex
   IBM 3090 (partially)
   Convex

The following publications describe the language:

H.F. Jordan, "The Force", in L.H. Jamieson, D.B. Gannon and
R.J. Douglass, The Characteristics of Parallel Algorithms,
MIT Press, 1987, p. 395-436.

H.F. Jordan, M.S. Benten, N.S. Arenstorf, A.V. Ramanan, "Force
User's Manual", Technical Report CSDG 87-2, Dep. of Elec. & Comp.
Engineering, Univ. of Colorado, Boulder, CO 80309.
Also available as NTIS Pub. Nr. 90N14785.

H.F. Jordan, M.S. Benten, G. Alaghband, R. Jakob, "The Force: A
Highly Portable Parallel Programming Language", in Intl. Conf.
Parallel Processing, Vol. II, 1989, p. 112-117.

R. Jakob, H.F. Jordan, "An MIMD Execution Environment With A
Fixed Number of Processes", in Joint Conf. on Vector and Parallel
Processing, Springer-Verlag LNCS 457, 1990, p. 525-535.

Rudy Jakob