[comp.parallel] ipsc/860 hypercube

wangjw@cs.purdue.edu (Jingwen Wang) (03/28/91)

Hi, netters,

  We are using the i860 hypercube machine now. But there is problem with
the remote host software. So we have to port our code from our Sun to
the 386 host of the machine. It is said that the remote host mode does
not work for this release of the software.

  We are unsatisfied with the slow speed of the 386 host and very modest
software support on it. We really need to use our own Sun as host. Does
anyone have more information or help about this?

Thanks.

Jingwen Wang

wangjw@cs.purdue.edu

--
=========================== MODERATOR ==============================
Steve Stevenson                            {steve,fpst}@hubcap.clemson.edu

carroll@ssc-vax (Jeff Carroll) (03/30/91)

In article <1991Mar28.150825.15596@hubcap.clemson.edu> wangjw@cs.purdue.edu () writes:
>  We are using the i860 hypercube machine now. But there is problem with
>the remote host software. So we have to port our code from our Sun to
>the 386 host of the machine. It is said that the remote host mode does
>not work for this release of the software.

Don't hold your breath :^)

I wouldn't expect this to ever work. If you want to talk about this in detail
either email me, or get on the iPSC users' mailing list (which is operated,
if I remember correctly, from theory.tn.cornell.edu).

>  We are unsatisfied with the slow speed of the 386 host and very modest
>software support on it. We really need to use our own Sun as host. Does
>anyone have more information or help about this?

The cheap solution is to get a fast 386 pc and run the compilers locally.
Intel will support you in this, and will sell you the compilers (at least
they would last time I checked). They may sell you compilers for Sun too.
Neither the Intel nor the Sun front ends are in Intel's long term product
strategy, and I'd recommend developing as much self-sufficiency as you can.

One of the guys at our site is experimenting with a Hauppauge 4860 board
as a development host. If you're interested I'll give him a call and find
out if he's making any progress.

--
Jeff Carroll
carroll@ssc-vax.boeing.com

--

joel%ssd.intel.com@RELAY.CS.NET (Joel Clark) (04/02/91)

In article <1991Mar28.150825.15596@hubcap.clemson.edu> wangjw@cs.purdue.edu () writes:

>Hi, netters,
>
>  We are using the i860 hypercube machine now. But there is problem with
>the remote host software. It is said that the remote host mode does
>not work for this release of the software.
>
>Jingwen Wang
>
>wangjw@cs.purdue.edu

This is incorrect.  Remote host DOES work with the i860 release.  It always
has and always will work will all releases of the iPSC/2 and iPSC/860
hypercube products.

I do not speak with the previous knowledge of my supervisor, but I am the
engineer who has been maintaining the Remote Host software for the last
30 months.

joel clark
joel@isc.intel.com
(503) 629-7732