[comp.parallel] Sparc base torus multiprocessor

acha@CS.CMU.EDU (Anurag Acharya) (05/02/91)

I recently heard a rumor that Fujitsu is in the process of building a
distributed memory machine with 1K sparc processors and torus topology.
Does any one know more about this ?

anurag

--
=========================== MODERATOR ==============================
Steve Stevenson                            {steve,fpst}@hubcap.clemson.edu

gvw@castle.ed.ac.uk (Greg Wilson) (05/03/91)

In article <ACHA.91May2115202@DRAVIDO.CS.CMU.EDU> acha@CS.CMU.EDU (Anurag Acharya) writes:
>I recently heard a rumor that Fujitsu is in the process of building a
>distributed memory machine with 1K sparc processors and torus topology.
>Does any one know more about this ?
>anurag

This machine (the AP-1000) has already been built, and has several
significant applications running on it.  For details, you could try our
book "Past, Present, Parallel: A Survey of Available Parallel Computing
Systems", from Springer-Verlag, ISBN 3-540-19664-1 (in Europe; US number
is different).  The AP-1000 has torus topology, custom chips to do
message routing (with wormholing and structured buffers), and lots of
extra hardware for global synchronisation, plus all the advantages of
off-the-shelf microprocessors.  If Fujitsu decided to take it to market,
it would be hard to beat.

Greg Wilson
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Edinburgh Parallel Computing Centre
gvw@castle.edinburgh.ac.uk

--
=========================== MODERATOR ==============================
Steve Stevenson                            {steve,fpst}@hubcap.clemson.edu
Department of Computer Science,            comp.parallel
Clemson University, Clemson, SC 29634-1906 (803)656-5880.mabell

jdb@arp.anu.edu.au (John Barlow) (05/07/91)

G'day from the southern hemisphere.

Recently (a week ago) Fujitsu installed an AP-1000 here at the
Australian National University.  The model we have has 64 SPARC
processors, 16 meg of memory each, torus mesh with wormhole
routing and a Sun 4/390 front end machine.  The machine will be
upgraded to 128 processors soon.

Originally it was known to me as the "CAP" (Cellular Array
Processor), but they changed the name to AP-1000.

The local Department of Computer Science is working on software
for the machine - programming environments, languages, and
porting packages to it.  Several groups on campus are trying to
get time on it, with a range of applications they want to put on
it.

I will get somebody from the department to followup to this, if
they haven't already done so.

BTW, the machine they delivered to us has serial number 1 on it.

--
jdb = John Barlow, Parallel Computing Research Facility,
Australian National University, I-Block, PO Box 4, Canberra, 2601, Australia.