[comp.parallel] NCR 3600

gt4589b@prism.gatech.edu (Davis, Jr., Martin H.) (05/17/91)

I read a newspaper article a couple of days ago in which was stated that
NCR has announced a new mainframe computer using parallel processors.  The
article did not give any specifics, so I am wondering if anybody knows
anything more.

Thanks.

--Martin Davis

--
Davis, Jr., Martin H.
uucp: ...!{allegra,amd,hplabs,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!prism!gt4589b

--
=========================== MODERATOR ==============================
Steve Stevenson                            {steve,fpst}@hubcap.clemson.edu

lair@midway.uchicago.edu (Scott A. Laird) (05/18/91)

In article <1991May17.123722.17801@hubcap.clemson.edu> gt4589b@prism.gatech.edu (Davis, Jr., Martin H.) writes:

>I read a newspaper article a couple of days ago in which was stated that
>NCR has announced a new mainframe computer using parallel processors.  The
>article did not give any specifics, so I am wondering if anybody knows
>anything more.

Well, according to the Chicago Tribune (the best I can do, sorry) it uses,
get this, multiple i486's running in parallel.  I'm not really a hardware type,
but is this as crazy as it seems?  An Intel based mainframe?  Ouch.

--
Scott A. Laird            |  Any semblance of the above to anything is purely
lair@midway.uchicago.edu  |  coincidental, as it was the result of an infinite

--

berryman-harry@CS.YALE.EDU (Harry Berryman) (05/19/91)

In article <1991May17.123722.17801@hubcap.clemson.edu> gt4589b@prism.gatech.edu (Davis, Jr., Martin H.) writes:

>I read a newspaper article a couple of days ago in which was stated that
>NCR has announced a new mainframe computer using parallel processors.  The
>article did not give any specifics, so I am wondering if anybody knows
>anything more.

I saw in a NY times article that the machine is going to be 486 based, and
not specifically targeted to scientific computations. NCR was vague about the
exact target market.

Harry Scott Berryman  				(berryman@cs.yale.edu)
Yale Compuiter Science Deptartment or
ICASE/NASA Langley Research Center

warren@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Warren Harrison) (05/23/91)

>>I read a newspaper article a couple of days ago in which was stated that
>>NCR has announced a new mainframe computer using parallel processors.  The
>>article did not give any specifics, so I am wondering if anybody knows
>>anything more.
>>

>Well, according to the Chicago Tribune (the best I can do, sorry) it uses,
>get this, multiple i486's running in parallel.  I'm not really a hardware type,
>but is this as crazy as it seems?  An Intel based mainframe?  Ouch.

Gee, Sequent has been doing this for the last few years with the 80386.
It's a real screamer for the price. Probably one of the best transaction
processing engines on the market ... certainly for the price. Uses either
a BSD variant OS (Dynix) or a new System V variant (PTX). The new model
will use 80486 CPUs. Now if I could just run an MS-DOS session on each
Node ...

Warren Harrison                                          warren@cs.pdx.edu
Center for Software Quality Research                          503/725-3108
Portland State University/CMPS

--

dyes@convex.convex.com (Tim Dyes) (05/24/91)

In article <1991May23.180222.9483@hubcap.clemson.edu>, warren@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Warren Harrison) writes:

> [...]

The 5/20/91 issue of EE Times describes it as a 2000 Mips Unix mainframe geared
for transaction processing.  Comprised of 288 50MHz 486DX cpus accessing up to
300Gbytes of disk arrays.  System price $1M-$8M.