[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Folklore

doug@eris (Doug Merritt) (03/25/88)

In article <46780@sun.uucp> cmcmanis@sun.UUCP (Chuck McManis) writes:
>This is a great question, mostly because I think I know the answer :-),
>but partly because the answer isn't documented *anywhere*.
> [...]
>/**** Save this you DOS hackers out there *******/

Ah, yes, the old "save folklore for posterity" trick. I have been trying
to save juicy information that comes across the net that isn't in the
manuals, or is obscure, etc.

My question is (for those of you who also save folklore): how do you
organize it? My default method of saving zillions of mail files is
pretty crumby. Clearly a hypertext structure would be best. Some kind
of data base that supports, say, keyword queries ("find author:cmcmanis
and keywords:(device,packet,ipc)...") would be ok, too.

Has anyone out there implemented a good solution? I've toyed with the
design of a special DBMS for this, but 'twould need too much work. And
there are things like Infominder and MicroFiche Filer available that I'm
not real familiar with.

Any brainstorms? I've got an awful lot of disorganized but interesting
tidbits from the net just going to waste...
	Doug Merritt			doug@eris.berkeley.edu
				or	ucbvax!unisoft!certes!doug