[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Video Products

doug@eris (Doug Merritt) (04/10/88)

In article <1412@ucqais.uc.edu> ggibeau@ucqais.uc.edu (George Gibeau) writes:
>     It does indeed exist.  A friend of mine purchased it for their
>lab, but had some initial problems.

Thanks for the info. Can you get your friend to give us the technical
specs? For instance, how many bits per pixel can it grab for maximum
quality (does it compare to DigiView's 21 bits per pixel?) For non-ham
modes, does it framegrab at exactly ((# bit planes) divided by 60) ?
Does it support HAM at all? Do they, perchance, document how to directly
read their interface themselves?

This last point has been a burr in my side for a long time...it'd be
nice to be able to write my *own* software to grab DigiView images.

Similarly for sound samplers. Future Sound was kind enough to send
me examples of C code to do so for their sampler, but it'd be nice
if we had a standard way to talk to *any* sound sampler. Like a
"snd:" device, for instance. I've been meaning to write one for
Future sound for the last 15 months but it doesn't look like I'm going
to get around to it after all.

	Doug Merritt		doug@mica.berkeley.edu (ucbvax!mica!doug)
			or	ucbvax!unisoft!certes!doug

kdd@well.UUCP (Keith David Doyle) (04/11/88)

In article <8532@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> doug@eris.UUCP (Doug Merritt) writes:
>Thanks for the info. Can you get your friend to give us the technical
>specs? For instance, how many bits per pixel can it grab for maximum
>quality (does it compare to DigiView's 21 bits per pixel?)

It grabs 4 bits per pixel, period.  It has hardware contrast/brightness
controls instead of software.

>For non-ham
>modes, does it framegrab at exactly ((# bit planes) divided by 60) ?

It grabs a field at 4 bit planes in 1/60ths a second, a frame (two fields)
in 1/30 sec.  It will grab a still frame out of a moving video.

>Does it support HAM at all?

No, not with the current software, since it's all B&W.  The promised
NTSC to RGB converter would seemingly support HAM if the accompanying
software does.

>Do they, perchance, document how to directly
>read their interface themselves?

Yes, it comes with the C code to read frames.

It's best feature is the ability to go on "automatic" and grab a series
of frames (until you run out of RAM).  You put your VCR in slow mode, and
you can get a nice sequence.  I'm hoping they'll add the ability to multi
grab in a mode that does 1/4 screen frames, or even 1/9, 1/16th etc.
so I can grab bunches of frames that were designed to be reduced anyway.

Keith Doyle
decvax!trwrb!cadovax!keithd