[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Fixing flicker...

haitex@pnet01.cts.com (Wade Bickel) (04/15/88)

doug@eris (Doug Merritt) writes:
>You said you "didn't want to get this specific", but without more
>specifics I have difficulty seeing what you have in mind. So far it
>*sounds* like a mutually exclusive set of specifications. Can you clarify?
>Ideally what I'm after here is an architectural description; the display
>could be Alien Crayons, but how is it functionally linked to memory??

        One of the engineers' working for Evens-Sutherland described how their
system works.  Basically, the first level of software (using co-processing)
fills structures, and the second level analayzes them and transforms them into
line descriptors, which are then then anti-aliased in yet another step.  Each
step includes its' own hardware.  It really is wonderful to see what can be
done if money is no object :^).

                                                        Wade.

UUCP: {cbosgd, hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!pnet01!haitex
ARPA: crash!pnet01!haitex@nosc.mil
INET: haitex@pnet01.CTS.COM

doug@eris (Doug Merritt) (04/16/88)

In article <2824@crash.cts.com> haitex@pnet01.cts.com (Wade Bickel) writes:
>        One of the engineers' working for Evens-Sutherland described how their
>system works.  Basically, the first level of software (using co-processing)
>fills structures, and the second level analayzes them and transforms them into

Well, yes, but this isn't addressing Bryan's specification of a "frameless"
display. Certainly you can put all kinds of nifty features into
display hardware, and I'm familiar in general with fancy architectures
like E&S, Silicon Graphics, the Amiga :-) etc. The example of vector
graphics on a non-pixelated display took care of the previous set of
questions. Now we're working on what it means to not have any frames,
yet still have "normal" features like base-register page flipping,
virtual screens bigger than physical screens, etc, etc.

>  It really is wonderful to see what can be done if money is no object :^).

Definitely.

	Doug Merritt		doug@mica.berkeley.edu (ucbvax!mica!doug)
			or	ucbvax!unisoft!certes!doug