[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Window refreshing

ahinds@hvrunix.UUCP (Alexander Hinds) (04/15/88)

	I hope I'm posting this to the correct news group...-:)

	Anyway, yesterday I was writing my first real application that
uses Intuition, (most of my stuff is pure console stuff), and I ran into
a problem.  In my window, I write some text.  However, when it is resized,
the text that was obscured doesn't get refreshed. I do, however, have the
SMART_REFRESH flag set.  I thought that that would do it.  But it doesn't.
Write now, I'm refreshing it myself whenever I get NEWSIZE events from
Intuition.  Is there an automatic way of accomplishing what I want to do?
Any help would be appreciated.  BTW, I'm using MANX 3.6.

					Thanks,
						Alexander Hinds

USENET:ahinds@hvrford
BITNET:A_HINDS@HVRFORD

avery@puff.cs.wisc.edu (Aaron Avery) (04/16/88)

In article <418@hvrunix.UUCP> ahinds@hvrunix.UUCP (Alexander Hinds) writes:
>a problem.  In my window, I write some text.  However, when it is resized,
>the text that was obscured doesn't get refreshed. I do, however, have the
>SMART_REFRESH flag set.  I thought that that would do it.  But it doesn't.
>Write now, I'm refreshing it myself whenever I get NEWSIZE events from
>Intuition.  Is there an automatic way of accomplishing what I want to do?

If you read the manuals thoroughly, you'd find that the only case where
SMART_REFRESH fails to entirely fix your window's display is when the user
resizes the window smaller, then larger. The NEWSIZE events are intuition's
solution to this dilemma. Depending on your specific application I'd suggest
using the SUPER_BITMAP type of refresh. This mode allows the window to easily
display a portion of the actual bitmap it's displaying, without any damage
ocurring. Investigate it further, and I hope that helps.

--
Aaron Avery (avery@puff.cs.wisc.edu)
	    ({seismo,caip,allegra,harvard,rutgers,ihnp4}!uwvax!puff!avery)

Use SUPERBITMAP GimmeZeroZero windows.
--
-- Peter da Silva      `-_-'      ...!hoptoad!academ!uhnix1!sugar!peter
-- "Have you hugged your U wolf today?" ...!bellcore!tness1!sugar!peter