[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Multi User

childs@cadnetix.COM (David Childs) (04/15/88)

Is there currently a way to use the Amiga as a multi-user system?  I am
speaking of a 1000 with a terminal hooked up to the serial port.  I was working
on something that used the serial port - mostly for testing and figured that
I could write something to handle this.  But, before I start, if something is
already available, it would take me less time.  I really want this feature so
that I can work while my wife types in her reports and papers.
"Newcli < SER: > SER:" doesn't seem to work.

Also, does someone have the public domain type source of TeX?  I know that
Amiga TeX is available for $$, but I want to get one in the public domain.
I am willing to do a significant part of the port if others are willing to
help.  C source would be best but Pascal would be acceptable.  I may just
have to buy it.  I want a demo first though.

David Childs  Cadnetix Corp.  (303) 444-8075  childs@cadnetix.UUCP

In article <2361@cadnetix.COM| childs@cadnetix.COM (David Childs) writes:
|Is there currently a way to use the Amiga as a multi-user system?  I am
|speaking of a 1000 with a terminal hooked up to the serial port.  I was working
|on something that used the serial port - mostly for testing and figured that
|I could write something to handle this.  But, before I start, if something is
|already available, it would take me less time.  I really want this feature so
|that I can work while my wife types in her reports and papers.
|"Newcli < SER: | SER:" doesn't seem to work.

Get the AUX: device from comp.amiga.sources (or wait until you get 1.3), and
also get the modified MicroEmacs that has support for the AUX device.  Of
course you'll be able to use only programs that use stdin/stdout and no
windows.

|Also, does someone have the public domain type source of TeX?  I know that
|Amiga TeX is available for $$, but I want to get one in the public domain.
|I am willing to do a significant part of the port if others are willing to
|help.  C source would be best but Pascal would be acceptable.  I may just
|have to buy it.  I want a demo first though.

No PD AmigaTeX.  You will just have to buy it.  I understand Rokicki's
AmigaTeX comes with a very nice "previewer". Code for that is definitely
not coming from the PD TeX tape.

-- Marco
uucp:...!pollux!papa       BIX:papa       ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu
 "There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Diga!" -- Leo Schwab [quoting Rick Unland]

doug@eris (Doug Merritt) (04/16/88)

In article <8459@oberon.USC.EDU> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
>In article <2361@cadnetix.COM| childs@cadnetix.COM (David Childs) writes:
>|Also, does someone have the public domain type source of TeX? [...]
>|I am willing to do a significant part of the port if others are willing to
                                               ^^^^
>No PD AmigaTeX.  You will just have to buy it.

True, there's no PD AmigaTeX. But that doesn't answer his question.
The answer is, yes, you can get a free copy of the original generic
TeX developed by Knuth, and do the port yourself.

Although I wish that AmigaTeX was cheaper, I still think it's worth it
due to the amount of work necessary to do a port. The original is written
in web'ed Pascal, by the way. There are restrictions on the use of the name
TeX, involving certifying the ported version etc. These are likely wise,
considering that un-hacked-up TeX has "over a million bug-free user
hours" logged, according to Knuth. To be able to call something you've
modified "TeX", you have to meet certain criteria (I don't know details)
to show that your port/modification/whatever is of similarly high quality.

Try the TeX user's group for more info (TUG). Their publication is
called TUGBOAT.

	Doug Merritt		doug@mica.berkeley.edu (ucbvax!mica!doug)
			or	ucbvax!unisoft!certes!doug

SLMYQ@USU.BITNET (04/17/88)

You need to change two things.  First, the CLI expects a "cooked" input device.
The CON: device, which is the default, is cooked.  The "raw" form of the
console device is RAW:, which won't work either.  The SER: device is raw as
well, so you'll need a "cooker" for the serial device - lots of people call
it AUX:.  You'll have to get an AUX handler somewhere first.  (And if you
find one, could you send it to me too?)  Anyway, all that happens when
something gets cooked is it gets line editing features like you get with
the Amiga console device.  The CLI doesn't like backspaces and such in its
input stream, and normally the standard input device should filter those out.

So once you have your AUX: device (or whatever it's called), just use
this:

NewCLI AUX:

This is just off the top of my head, so don't trust me too much. :)  And I
haven't tried it either, since I don't have AUX:, and that's why I want it! :)

That'll put the CLI on the serial port, but then you'll probably get problems
when you try hooking it to a modem.  I have no idea what happens then.

                                Bryan Ford (SLMYQ@USU.BITNET)

walker@sas.UUCP (Doug Walker) (04/20/88)

In article <2361@cadnetix.COM> childs@cadnetix.COM (David Childs) writes:
>Also, does someone have the public domain type source of TeX?  I know that
>Amiga TeX is available for $$, but I want to get one in the public domain.
>...  I may just have to buy it.  I want a demo first though.

TeX is one of those programs (like a good C compiler) that you just DON'T
want to program yourself unless you absolutely have to.  That is, if you
value your time.  And the Amiga TeX implementation is EXTREMELY good.  I
have worked with it a little, and friends of mine have worked with it a
lot.  The Amiga version is also cheaper than any other version that I know
of.

I have no connection with Tom Rockicki (the author of AmigaTeX) except that
I am soon to be a customer of his.