[comp.sys.amiga.tech] IFF ILBM File to Gadgets etc...

svermeulen%Ins.MRC.AdhocNet.CA@UNCAEDU.BITNET (04/18/88)

|In article <8804150328.AA26808@jade.berkeley.edu> SLMYQ@USU.BITNET writes:
|>Everyone seems to be missing something.  DeluxePaint brushes are standard
|>ILBM files!!!  Which means you can use the "ILBMDump" program that comes

This is very true, also there are no limits as to the UPPER LIMIT for
picture sizes (appart from about 65K pixels wide and high :-).  A
convenient size for laser printing is 2400x3204...

|>with all the IFF junk to convert brushes directly to C code.  It's
|>much easier, to say the least, and it can create sprite and attached
|>sprite formats also.
|>
|        Like most programs from EA, ILBMDump doesn't work, either.  It dumps
|BOBs just great, but sucks major hose when trying to dump anything else it
|claims to support (sprites and attached sprites don't work at all).  Since
|the program is written in obfuscated Lattice C, I have not yet bothered to
|dive in and find out why the program is broken.  Note that I have not
|bothered to recompile the program from the sources; I'm using the
|distribution binary.

You might want to check out VGad (Fish 137) which will take two pictures
(normal state and selected state) of your complete window and then quickly
convert these to Gadget and Image structures just by boxing the appropriate
areas.

|>Just a thought...has anyone tried loading a brush as a picture?  Or a picture
|>as a brush?
|>
|        I once loaded a picture as a brush in DPaint.  Worked great.

Also works in Express Paint.  Again there is no difference in the ILBM part
of a Picture or Brush file, DPaint may store some other info about
perspective or maybe colour cycling in one but not the other.

|Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape  ihnp4!pacbell -\

               Stephen Vermeulen
               Author: Express Paint

kent@xanth.cs.odu.edu (Kent Paul Dolan) (04/20/88)

In article <880418104522.0eg@Ins.MRC.AdhocNet.CA> svermeulen%Ins.MRC.AdhocNet.CA@UNCAEDU.BITNET writes:
[...]
>This is very true, also there are no limits as to the UPPER LIMIT for
>picture sizes (appart from about 65K pixels wide and high :-).  A
>convenient size for laser printing is 2400x3204...

>               Stephen Vermeulen
>               Author: Express Paint

How I wish that smiley face made me smile.  There have been display
devices for at least ten years with more resolution than that!  For
one example, the Scitex laser onto film textile design and
cartographic workstation that long ago used a plot resolution along
the 70" long drum circumference of at least 1000 points per inch.
Another example of a reasonable looking design limit being overtaken
by technology, in this case, before the fact.

This is one of many reasons I lean toward 256 bit longs in C.  ;-)
(Perhaps that smiley face will outlive me, but I wouldn't bet my life
on it.)

The moral lesson is: when designing a system limit, by choice pick a
link list or variable length integer as appropriate; if you think you
_must_ make a hard limit, try to wiggle off the hard limit hook as
hard as you can; if unsuccessful, try the _square_ of the largest
example you've ever seen, and hope you aren't overtaken by progress
before you sell your first unit.

Kent, the man from xanth.