[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Intel's Inboard 386 PC in an Amiga 2000?

mike@ninja.cc.umich.edu (Michael Nowak) (04/14/88)

I saw an advertisement in Computer Shopper for a board from Intel which
turns an XT into a 386 based machine.  It was called an Inboard 386 PC
and the price was around $780.  What are the chances of this working
on a 2000 with an XT BridgeBoard?  What are the chances of this combination
running Xenix/386?

 In Real Life:	Michael Nowak                       "Seek truth from facts."
 Via Internet:	mike@ronin.cc.umich.edu                  - Deng Xiao Ping
 Via UUCP:	uunet!umix!ronin.cc.umich.edu!mike

 Working for but in no way representing the University of Michigan.

In article <468@mailrus.cc.umich.edu> mike@ronin.cc.umich.edu () writes:
> I saw an advertisement in Computer Shopper for a board from Intel which
> turns an XT into a 386 based machine.  It was called an Inboard 386 PC
> and the price was around $780.  What are the chances of this working
> on a 2000 with an XT BridgeBoard?  What are the chances of this combination
> running Xenix/386?

*Some* speedup boards will work with the bridgecard.  The key issue isn't
so much the bridgecard, rather it's whether or not a given speedup card
will work with the Faraday PC clone chipset.  "Real" IBM PC systems implement
DMA in a funny way, the Faraday chips do something else (like use the CPU
bus request I'm told).  Boards that take advanatage of the way the IBM PC
implementation works will fail in Faraday based clones, including the
bridgecard...  There may, of course be other reasons why a given card may
not work, however the above is a global make/break issue.

--
George Robbins - now working for,	uucp: {uunet|ihnp4|rutgers}!cbmvax!grr